Stihl 261 warranty repair help

GreenCoToM

Hi all I have a problem with my stihl 261 and it has been awful since I brought it in 2013 I have had everything go on it when I spoke to stihl at the Arb show they said they know there was problems with some 261s they sold at that time and agreed to fix it for me free of charge which I thought was great now they have said they want the original receipt which I can't find so I am now stuck whether to just cut my losses with the saw as have spent a small fortune on it already or to keep on at stihl till they give in as anybody else had a similar experience with there 261

Hi all I have a problem with my stihl 261 and it has been awful since I brought it in 2013 I have had everything go on it when I spoke to stihl at the Arb show they said they know there was problems with some 261s they sold at that time and agreed to fix it for me free of charge which I thought was great now they have said they want the original receipt which I can't find so I am now stuck whether to just cut my losses with the saw as have spent a small fortune on it already or to keep on at stihl till they give in as anybody else had a similar experience with there 261

Lots of people on here ..... Clutch bearings , crank replacement , that sorta thing .

there has been lots of faults as said above. But saying that mines used most days and its hammered sectioning down etc . Never had anything go wrong stihl do the upgrade kit for the early ones .Think its 60 quid so if you cant find the recipt not like its bank breaking to fix ill try and dig the part number out for you.

Jay

there has been lots of faults as said above. But saying that mines used most days and its hammered sectioning down etc . Never had anything go wrong stihl do the upgrade kit for the early ones .Think its 60 quid so if you cant find the recipt not like its bank breaking to fix ill try and dig the part number out for you.

Jay

Mine has been "fixed " 3 times and is stihl a bag of shite!

Mine has been "fixed " 3 times and is stihl a bag of shite!

Me too, complete bag of ****, iv never spent so much on any of my saws. I even had a replacement new crank shaft put in outside of warranty F.O.C. I think even the dealer felt guilty they were so **** unless it was being sanctioned by Stihl. Iv given up on it now, we use 441's as ground saws now, heavier and thirstier but bombproof and reliable.

We have a freelancer who brings along his 260, great saw, he won't part with it though:sneaky2:

We have sold a good many MS261's and as far as I know there is only one issue in that some of the rim sprockets have a slightly oval hole where the clutch bearing sits in and causes the bearing to fail and if not spotted in time the crank will score and needs to be changed. As it is impossible to tell which sprockets are defective, its simply a case of fit a spur sprocket instead. Do not fit another rim to repair and we change to spur sprockets before the saws are handed out when new. I havent had any other problems with this saw other than that and they appear far more durable than a Husky 550 .If the OP cannot find his receipt then if he has bought it from a registered Stihl dealer, the saw should be registered to him on Stihls data base

We have sold a good many MS261's and as far as I know there is only one issue in that some of the rim sprockets have a slightly oval hole where the clutch bearing sits in and causes the bearing to fail and if not spotted in time the crank will score and needs to be changed. As it is impossible to tell which sprockets are defective, its simply a case of fit a spur sprocket instead. Do not fit another rim to repair and we change to spur sprockets before the saws are handed out when new. I havent had any other problems with this saw other than that and they appear far more durable than a Husky 550 .If the OP cannot find his receipt then if he has bought it from a registered Stihl dealer, the saw should be registered to him on Stihls data base

Is this still a current problem even on 2015 saws ?

I would have thought manufacture quality control should have sorted this out since 2012.