Quarter or through & through

Forest2Furniture

quarter sawn has less wastage & more stable, so better for legs, rails frames etc. indeed any structural joinery, but flat sawn is often pretty in elm, but lots more wastage due to warp & twist. best for display fronts on draws & chest & table tops...

So I guess it depends on what you want to make?

Guess I d go for the first length butt 12ft flat sawn & the rest quatered, & split os course split the the pith boards on the butt as well.

Then you've got plenty of both.....:thumbup:

Thanks guys, BigJ that's what I thought about doing but it's good that you suggested it.

The tree is at the top end of a field with no access for a tractor or 4x4 so it's a chainsaw mill and handball out.

I'll post the pics when done, if I have time to take them.

I'm thinking 3 lengths at 10' or am I better doing a 12' & 2 @ 9'?

Thanks guys, BigJ that's what I thought about doing but it's good that you suggested it.

The tree is at the top end of a field with no access for a tractor or 4x4 so it's a chainsaw mill and handball out.

depends what the finnished boards will be made into, but the second option would be my preference ,12ft good for large outside table,and 9ft`s easy long enough for any kitchen table.remember to cut slightly large diameter for future planning/sanding.

I hope you have a good chiropractor! My back is hurting just thinking about that. There is always a way to get some sort of machine in. Given the amount of nearly inaccessible trees you do, it might be worth getting some sort of machine to take kit in and boards out. Even a powered barrow with a dolly or something.

You don't think about the limitations of injuries when you aren't injured. It's only when you do hurt yourself that you very much wish you'd been more sensible.

12ft and 2 9ft lengths would be best.

Am I right in saying you will get 12 quarter saw boards doing planking.centre four on each stem ?

No.

If I were to quarter saw I'd get 12 quarters, not just 12 quarter sawn boards.

As it is I'm not going to quarter saw, I'll take the top cut off, do a verticle cut with the side mill then through & through the stem.

I hope you have a good chiropractor! My back is hurting just thinking about that. There is always a way to get some sort of machine in. Given the amount of nearly inaccessible trees you do, it might be worth getting some sort of machine to take kit in and boards out. Even a powered barrow with a dolly or something.

You don't think about the limitations of injuries when you aren't injured. It's only when you do hurt yourself that you very much wish you'd been more sensible.

12ft and 2 9ft lengths would be best.

I always price in to a job the cost of a visit to the osteopath!

As this is the second time you've mentioned a power barrow I'll look into it, just depends if it will go over rough terrain.