Make money or do right??

Orchard

A local housing association has asked me to look at a lime overhanging one of their properties, I would say it's overhanging the house by 3 meters, almost touching and in line with the ridge line. The residents are concerned about it coming down on the house but have also made numerous complaints about dead wood falling into their gardens, the residents have also tried killing the tree and have had people in to prune low branches which have been done poorly with a pole pruner. The tree has a tpo on it and the council have said it can be crown lifted and reduced by no more than 1 meter! Obviously I could rock up, do the job reduce it by as small amount as I can, fire the invoice in, job done everyone happy! ..... Except the residents. I agree with the council to some extent the tree was there before the development which is now 2 years old but should a maintenance plan not be in place by the housing association to stop it getting too overgrown in the first place? A 2 or 3 year pollarding programme would be ideal. I know if I carried out the councils suggested actions I would be victim of verbal abuse from the residents and surrounding neighbours as its a bit of a hostile area too but I want to ensure safety of the residents and carry out work which will allow the tree and residents to share the garden. What's best, try and fight for the best result for the residents or just do the job as instructed by the housing association and be off??

The tree has a tpo on it and the council have said it can be crown lifted and reduced by no more than 1 meter!

Why are you even contemplating this?

Quote or implement the works on the consent and be done with it or appeal the consent.

Are the residents going to be happy with anything less than felling? probably not.

The tree was there before the development so any current issues can be clearly traced back to the planning process, if you feel the need to do something, rattle the cages of whoever signed off on the planning