English Polish Romanian HGV Drivers

Ruskins Trees

We have been unloading and planting very large trees (2 per artic) over the past few days.

Day 1 4 Polish Drivers all without exception got their trailers ready for unloading and helped us unload and took their complete roofs off their trailers (it's easy to get the roof 90% off, but problematic to do the last 10%)

Day 2 2 English Drivers, neither lifted a finger to help, both refused to take their roofs completely off, causing a delay of 5 hours, giving numerous excuses as why they could not do it. Eventually hey presto they could do it.

2 Romanian Drivers, same as Polish drivers. One took offence of our insistence of helping him, telling us in perfect English that he has never had help getting his lorry ready to unload yet and was not going to start today.

Embarrassing as proud Englishmen.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been moving lots of stuff on Low Loaders recently. A few of the Romanian drivers English wasn't great but it didn't need to be as they did it all them selves. Asked what tractor needed to go and then it was done.

Had some fantastic English guys too but it was all tainted by one guy yesterday. Mr i need 115ft of straight level ground to unload or its not getting done. Not at all helpful.

We have been unloading and planting very large trees (2 per artic) over the past few days.

Day 1 4 Polish Drivers all without exception got their trailers ready for unloading and helped us unload and took their complete roofs off their trailers (it's easy to get the roof 90% off, but problematic to do the last 10%)

Day 2 2 English Drivers, neither lifted a finger to help, both refused to take their roofs completely off, causing a delay of 5 hours, giving numerous excuses as why they could not do it. Eventually hey presto they could do it.

2 Romanian Drivers, same as Polish drivers. One took offence of our insistence of helping him, telling us in perfect English that he has never had help getting his lorry ready to unload yet and was not going to start today.

Embarrassing as proud Englishmen.

I think this has been like this for some time now our guys just want to drive the lorrys in their uniforms etc.Had a chap in the early 90s was not interested in timber as he would have to load it and unload and fix hydraulic hoses etc.Said he only wanted to do fridge work on the continent as he only undid the back doors ! It seems our people have the attitude of how much can I get for as little effort as possible.Also they do not seem to have much pride in their work.Perhaps you will all put me right ,but I am just a grey haired oldtimmer!!

Cheers Chris

just to sway the argument- had a polish artic come into the yard to pick up a tractor I was selling (he wasn't the one buying just picking up), Anyway threw a right hissy fit because a)he couldn't understand a word I was saying and b) didn't seem capable of swinging his artic round in the yard and eventually gave up saying he was going to bed which he did for the next 20 mins before driving off in a right huff without making any effort to secure tractor in the curtainsided lorry.

Had an English (Cornish!) artic driver deliver a load of chestnut stakes last week- nothing was a problem to him- and swung his artic round no problems and went on his way with a wave and a smile!

Good and bad in all sorts.

I don't care how good they are, I wouldn't employ them!! Overcrowded bloody country

I would sooner employ them than those with your attitude :thumbdown:

Our problems are not caused simply by numbers, its the idle British that are the biggest drain, IMO.

I don't care how good they are, I wouldn't employ them!! Overcrowded bloody country

Maybe the polish guys dad flew fighters in 303 squadron in the Battle of Britain or helped take Tobruk or monte Cassino , close the falais pocket or was dropped in operation market garden and felt some loyalty to help his british cousins because they all would not be a free country to vote in today with out the past efforts of his fellow country men.