root protection barrier

tree79

Hi all

Has any one got any links or information on root protection barriers and where to purchase it from.

I've been asked about installing a root barrier.

its for a new extension, which is approx 8m from an mature lime tree.

The LA have approved the plans but suggest installing a root barrier to help minimise any future damage.

Any help would be great

Many thanks

Morning,

A roll of plastic to a depth of 1-1.5m would do it. Nothing fancy. Maybe dampproof membrane as they are hard-wearing and should disintegrate in the ground. Make sure any joins are properly sealed.

Just my guess.

You do mean "shouldn't dis-integrate" don't you?

You might be better to 2m - dependant on the soil strata. Here's a link Root Barrier Solutions - rootbarrier.com

Hi all

Has any one got any links or information on root protection barriers and where to purchase it from.

I've been asked about installing a root barrier.

its for a new extension, which is approx 8m from an mature lime tree.

The LA have approved the plans but suggest installing a root barrier to help minimise any future damage.

Any help would be great

Many thanks

Just out of interest, where is the root barrier going? Along the edge of the foundation for the extension? Or nearer to the tree?

Ah ha, right I see. Have they specified how deep the barrier should go? And do you know what depth the foundations are going to be?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but it's an area that really interests me. The use of root barriers in this way is also quite unusual (in my experience anyway).

Cheers, Paul

Hi there

I have suggested that they use 1.5m depth. The project in question is a small extension to an existing outbuilding. There is a mature lime tree approx 8m from where the new foundation will be.

The LA are keen for the barrier to be used, to help protect from any future root damage and to stop any contamination from the concrete effectiving the tree and roots.

Is this a unreasonable request by the LA?