Stihl - Crazy UK pricing

gfro84

I want to buy an MS-271 to replace a stolen MS-391. Came across the stihl Canada page, an MS271 costs £261 rrp whilst in the UK it costs £618 rrp. 237% more expensive, this is a stunning difference.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a good reason or is someone having a laugh?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to buy an MS-271 to replace a stolen MS-391. Came across the stihl Canada page, an MS271 costs £261 rrp whilst in the UK it costs £618 rrp. 237% more expensive, this is a stunning difference.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a good reason or is someone having a laugh?

Lot more trees in Canada and the USA compared to the UK. So i imagine its volume sales.

Yes. In marketing terms it is called "what the market will stand".

Here in France that saw is retailing for the same price in Euros which makes it at least 37% more expensive in the UK. Have a summer holiday in France (which would also be 37% cheaper) and bring one back :thumbup:

You pay list price????????

No I don't pay list price, but there will no doubt be correlation between list and what you pay here.

I was just stunned at the difference, well used to getting robbed in the UK but not by this much. Looks like I'll be waiting for a trip to France.

Phoned a Canadian dealer (albeit only the one) who insisted on being present to pick the machine up. Seems stihl have a pretty tight grip on distribution.

Welcome to Rip Off Britain, now you know why travellers to Canada & USA have empty suitcases on the outward journey.

Exchange rates, shipping, volume sales along with market expectations all add to the price unfortunately.

RRPs are fairly silly prices often discounted, however I expect the price would still be around double what you would pay in Canada.

N

Is it possible to buy saws abroad and bring them back over?

Yes but you can be liable to the duty ......If you get them shipped there is the import duty + a handeling charge . Not sure if you go yourself and bring them back but you would have to declare them . I used to get second hand saws from U.S. and Canada when you got almost $2 to the £ but not worth it now

Yes but you can be liable to the duty ......If you get them shipped there is the import duty + a handeling charge . Not sure if you go yourself and bring them back but you would have to declare them . I used to get second hand saws from U.S. and Canada when you got almost $2 to the £ but not worth it now

Not within the EU though Stubby - although you already knew that, I know.

Think like a migrant (that should get some backs up on this site:001_rolleyes:...) or like an expat, and you can reduce your upfront purchase costs - it goes both ways depending on the exchange rate. However you obviously need to balance that with service/backup/spares blah blah blah yawn... Its all still a rip off IMO

Not within the EU though Stubby - although you already knew that, I know.

Think like a migrant (that should get some backs up on this site:001_rolleyes:...) or like an expat, and you can reduce your upfront purchase costs - it goes both ways depending on the exchange rate. However you obviously need to balance that with service/backup/spares blah blah blah yawn... Its all still a rip off IMO

Oh yea of course . Was thinking of States and Canada . The main two should still service a saw its just you might go to the back of the Q if it was not purchased from a U.K. dealer me thinks .