Your quoting guidance

SPC Trees

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this situation a lot depends on who the client is.

Sometimes a day rate can be agreed around how long you expect to it to take. Any longer than an agreed time frame and you could come to an arrangement whereby any subsequent days beyond that agreed time frame would be charged at a reduced rate. That way the client feels like they have some protection against a firm trying to "drag the work out" and you have the reassurance that if you have underestimated the job you don't completely lose out.

I have found this to be a really useful method of quoting big jobs that go beyond your current experience.

I.e. When you're business is growing and you are attracting bigger jobs. Doing it this way affords some protection for both parties.

Again, a lot will depend on who the client is.

I hope that made sense!

In this situation a lot depends on who the client is.

Sometimes a day rate can be agreed around how long you expect to it to take. Any longer than an agreed time frame and you could come to an arrangement whereby any subsequent days beyond that agreed time frame would be charged at a reduced rate. That way the client feels like they have some protection against a firm trying to "drag the work out" and you have the reassurance that if you have underestimated the job you don't completely lose out.

I have found this to be a really useful method of quoting big jobs that go beyond your current experience.

I.e. When you're business is growing and you are attracting bigger jobs. Doing it this way affords some protection for both parties.

Again, a lot will depend on who the client is.

I hope that made sense!

Yes it did and thanks for sharing

A while ago I was asked to quote for a big job. In the end I gave a price to do a small section of it for a fixed price (which they were happy with) on the understanding that I would then be able to give a fixed price for the rest of it by extrapolating the total effort - and they would be able to see if they were happy with the way we worked.

The second figure was to be treated as a totally new quote with no commitment on the customer's part.

As it happened they were happy so we went back and did the full job.

Reduced risks for all concerned, treating the first bit like a 'sales pitch'.

Lovely Job!

A while ago I was asked to quote for a big job. In the end I gave a price to do a small section of it for a fixed price (which they were happy with) on the understanding that I would then be able to give a fixed price for the rest of it by extrapolating the total effort - and they would be able to see if they were happy with the way we worked.

The second figure was to be treated as a totally new quote with no commitment on the customer's part.

Lovely Job!

That's a good idea I like it.

The reason I ask is that I recently quoted for a huge Oak to be removed, however it was just the trunk as the limbs had been removed many years ago. This thing was about 7ft wide at the bottom and I didn't know how rotten it would be inside. It was a couple of days work if it was all good wood still but if rotten it was going to fall apart. I quoted at day rate as was too many variables. In the end he just wanted it felled and left but got me thinking of alternatives....

I like to work to a price if I can look at a job and know what time frame I can do it in. If I simply can not evaluate time acruatly I go day rate and explain the varibles I then say how many days I should think I complete the work. I work as general garden maintenance contractor on some large properties on day rate. I could be doing Trees, Gates, Fencing, Hedge Cutting, Mowing evern Jet washing. Working day rate they know if they ask ' could you just dig this holly tree out ' they are going to have a fair price for the work. There is allways a risk on your first day of work as you might sleep in the van all day or you a cowboy and customer gets a bum deal. But thats a risk when a customer employs any tradesman price or day rate. After customer has seen your a hard productive worker & there garden taking great shape there happy for you to keep coming back at a knowen cost.

I was asked to remove 12 6' leylandi hedge plants with a good deal of die back plus roots & replant with lorrel. To chop with saw & load in van was easy to price. however to remove the stumps rotovate & compost for replanting is a little harder to be honest I have no F*****g idear what it will take if the grounds hard & roots are a b***h who knows. Iam still thinking what to put on it now I might say 3 days but might be done in 2. That means my price could be out by a 3rd or 33.33333% lol.

Lovely Job!

I like that approach. I might have to steal that idea. :001_smile:

?? A single old trunk ? When the " large job , day rates and unknown variables" were being mentioned. I had visions of several months work , multiple tree pruning and removals .tonnage of timber to remove.

A single trunk , just get round there. The most accurate way to learn is by experience and by making mistakes and learning the lesson

Edited by karl
miss spell