SHopping for a new harness - Austria 3.2

Dilz

Out with the old in with the new and shiny.

Time to replace my tree motion - i kind of like the TM but its not the best harness for spiking - im almost tempted to buy a weaver for my take down work and a TM for pruning....

I quite like the look of the Austria 3.2

has any one any experience of the these?

do they have a central saw attachment point in the back like the TM? i use both sides alot for cutting so this is a must really.

whats it like for sitting on spikes all day? ( i dont mean for an hour or two, im talking about all day)

any feedback - much appreciated.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought one of the treehog harnesses, cheap and not very rigid, I didn't expect a lot but I love it. So flexible it moves with you and if you spend time setting it up for you, when you're on a flip line and spikes it's really comfortable and doesn't give you the bruised hips that long hours on a flip line can cause.

Hello James! Glad to see another of the 'Riseholm massive' is still tree bashing! You still cruising in the yellow 2cv?? I'm still living in Sweden - soon be 6 years out here! Had a golden eagle flying over head whilst i was working in nature reserve last week, and had to explain to the project leader that the trees that had been felled into the river had been done by a beaver and not us, so its kind of cool - bored of freezing my ass off though.

Im almost tempted to stick with the TM - i hate it but it is also awesome...but all the austrias i have tried in the past are like a pair of well worn slippers - but the tool loop configurations are really important. - The saw really needs to be hung off the middle to given maximum reach on both sides, and there must be a way of clipping a krab to run the rope through on the outside of the leg pad (stops the rope getting spiked and im changing over to a lockjack so its useful for that as well). Its crap in Sweden for trying out gear as there arent really any good shops where you can get you hands on stuff and see how it is and try it on.

I have an Austria 3.2, and I love it!

Very comfortable harness, as far as harnesses can be comfortable, the leg loops are enormous, and has little loops for a karabiner if you so need one. The chainsaw loop attachment is central in the bottom of back polster, which I use by default. Also has reinforced textile "d" rings where the central slider attachments are, which I have recently found out is a far more comfortable alternative than the side "d rings" when spiking.

In short, I thoroughly recommend the Austria 3.2. I'm very happy with it.

Though I would encourage you to re-think your decision on the lockjack...... But that's purely personal :thumbup:

Ah! like the additional D rings on the bridge of the TM - which is one feature i really like! think i shall give it try buy as it has now ticked all the required boxes.

As for thhe lock jack (which i have just ordered)... well i am not 100% convinced on them - i love my VT but i have played around with a LJ, and i'm not yet very smooth on long descents, but i found when i used it on some pruning jobs it was very useful, fine adjustments were easy and coming back in from branches and back up through forks was a breeze - my biggest problem was pulling up too much as i'm so use to accounting for the sit back of my VT. Time will tell if its a worth while investment.

its funny ive just changed from having a tree austria 1 which i loved and then had a 3.1 which was also good but just got a tree motion and ive gota say its way comfy around the back and hips really pleased with it , spent most of today on spikes and had no problems , what is it about the tree motion you dont like ?:001_smile: