Poplar carnage

Adam Bourne

7 skinny poplars in total but made the video up of the 5 biggest. All ranging from 60/70ft in height and no more than 1 1/2ft in base diameter. The first 4 had to be halved so we could fit them in the area available to us. Nothing to strenuous and completed in 6 hours. Also introducing the spike cam with some footage of the KiwiKlimbers spikecender. Tried for as many angles as possible on the fells with a sneaky gob cam :)

Anyway set to HD and enjoy. :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 skinny poplars in total but made the video up of the 5 biggest. All ranging from 60/70ft in height and no more than 1 1/2ft in base diameter. The first 4 had to be halved so we could fit them in the area available to us. Nothing to strenuous and completed in 6 hours. Also introducing the spike cam with some footage of the KiwiKlimbers spikecender. Tried for as many angles as possible on the fells with a sneaky gob cam :)

Anyway set to HD and enjoy. :)

HI ADAM nice job mate well done thanks jon :thumbup:

I love the 150...light as a feather and a beautifully precise cut...you certainly have got the GoPro Sussed Adam. Bit early in the morning for crotch cam though! The do look like a smooth ascender. I,m sure Dale will be chuffed to see his product filmed like that.He,s a top Kiwi and a nice bloke.

Cool! Nice video.

how do you rate the wee saw?

I am needing a new top handle and heard various stories.

Cheers fellas :)

The 150 is a lovely saw Stephen, if it's for pruning then yeah light, responsive, and reasonably quite. Takedowns depends what timber and what size IMO. It struggles on 6" oak yet glides through 10" beach!! It's brilliant for jobs like this on, but at then end of the day they were not built for being hammered, they are still a glorified silky. Without serious porting, timing advancements, and tuning then buy a 201 or 540 mate.

Hope this helps :)

Not sure about the up-skirt angles but the rest was cool.

You seem to do a lot of cutting whilst only stropped on your spikes, i.e. no main line attached. Seems a bit risky to me?

Cheers dude,

Could you define risky though mate? Yeah if your all the while cutting at angles or an inch or so from your strop, or maybe you could be pushing on the saw way to hard and follow through on to the strop. I'm not ram headed by no means and I like to think I'm a cautious kinda guy. If I wasn't at all satisfied with my position and working ethnics whilst doing that then yeah! I'd probably create 2 points of anchor on the stem or in another tree. Your right though it's not a good practiced standard by no means and I don't condone it. :)

Cheers dude,

Could you define risky though mate? Yeah if your all the while cutting at angles or an inch or so from your strop, or maybe you could be pushing on the saw way to hard and follow through on to the strop. I'm not ram headed by no means and I like to think I'm a cautious kinda guy. If I wasn't at all satisfied with my position and working ethnics whilst doing that then yeah! I'd probably create 2 points of anchor on the stem or in another tree. Your right though it's not a good practiced standard by no means and I don't condone it. :)

You're clearly a good climber so I don't doubt you felt comfortable with your approach. I'm just being that annoying guy that points out what is outside of good practice. I'll shut up now!

You're clearly a good climber so I don't doubt you felt comfortable with your approach. I'm just being that annoying guy that points out what is outside of good practice. I'll shut up now!

Haha cheers dude,

Your right though it's not something that anybody should be doing unless there absolutely confident about it. :)

Not sure about the up-skirt angles but the rest was cool.

You seem to do a lot of cutting whilst only stropped on your spikes, i.e. no main line attached. Seems a bit risky to me?

He's a risky kind of dude. Even when he's got his main line in, it's SRT, which is just asking for trouble :P