A new problem with my petzl zig zag after 6 months

Rhystree

Okay me and one of my guys have been running out zig zag 2s for 6 months these were replacements for the mark 1s.

Mine has started to slip and to the point where you get in position for a cut reach to get a saw and oh where's the branch gone. Cue look up two foot above to see the branch I I fended to cut! I normally give the ZZ a daily check before climbing to look for cracks in the links but this time decided to have a better look to see if I could find a problem. The inside of the bottom link where the rope feeds into the pulley has worn from the rope friction, it was a very clean profiled edge when new and now it's a very rounded shape. I have a feeling due to the percentage of metal worn away it's going to be a loler failure!

This is really only a problem for climbing when running it on a rope guide with a clear run to the pulley so minimal friction on the ZZ.

Yesterday I had a look and our second ZZ and it has the same issue. Now I think they are great bits of kit, they are not cheap but worth it if they last more than six months. Now Petzl have given them a working service life of 5 years (I believe) but my two have fallen short by 4.5 years!

Has any one else had an issue with this?

I'm running mine on turfleburger tachyon which is 5 years old now so nice and soft.

I guess petzl should be happy two have worn out and not cracked!!!

Okay me and one of my guys have been running out zig zag 2s for 6 months these were replacements for the mark 1s.

Mine has started to slip and to the point where you get in position for a cut reach to get a saw and oh where's the branch gone. Cue look up two foot above to see the branch I I fended to cut! I normally give the ZZ a daily check before climbing to look for cracks in the links but this time decided to have a better look to see if I could find a problem. The inside of the bottom link where the rope feeds into the pulley has worn from the rope friction, it was a very clean profiled edge when new and now it's a very rounded shape. I have a feeling due to the percentage of metal worn away it's going to be a loler failure!

This is really only a problem for climbing when running it on a rope guide with a clear run to the pulley so minimal friction on the ZZ.

Yesterday I had a look and our second ZZ and it has the same issue. Now I think they are great bits of kit, they are not cheap but worth it if they last more than six months. Now Petzl have given them a working service life of 5 years (I believe) but my two have fallen short by 4.5 years!

Has any one else had an issue with this?

I'm running mine on turfleburger tachyon which is 5 years old now so nice and soft.

I guess petzl should be happy two have worn out and not cracked!!!

Could be a serious problem as it's not a replaceable part as like the cam's in the spider. Will have a look at mine but it's not in use day in and day out. Is yours?

At 5 years old your rope may be soft but probably quite ingrained with tiny bits of muck and grit which may add to the abrasion of the mettle, tachyon is quite soft so you could swap for a firmer rope which might extend the working life of the zigzag for a bit longer.

Point taken but I have alway taken good care of my climbing line it gets put on a cold delicate wash I would of said once every 9 months usually mid winter if it's been wet causing the rope to get gritty. After a really wet week on a muddy site much to her indoors disapproval it goes in a bath of cold water to give it a clean. I would of said a softer rope would cause less wear through friction as the fibres are looser. A stiffer or newer rope such as velocity I feel would speed up the wear.

The other zig zag has been used on several different ropes but all semi dynamic nothing static which would cause a lot more wear. It really is just the speed in which the part wears from general wear.

With past experience rope selection for a tree motion bridge can speed up the wear on the connector point whether it's a green dmm ring or swivel. The factory supplied green bridge is soft causing less wear but armor prus or ocean polyester will greatly speed it up because of the make up of the outer sheath.

At 5 years old your rope may be soft but probably quite ingrained with tiny bits of muck and grit which may add to the abrasion of the mettle, tachyon is quite soft so you could swap for a firmer rope which might extend the working life of the zigzag for a bit longer.

Good call Mr gray I have often thought bout the dirt and small grit practicals which rope collects. Recently I have changed the rope I use in my zag from Yale lime lite 11.7mm to edelrid powerstatic 12mm. And must admit it is perfect.

Hi Steve, I'm not really doing any quick descents at the mo old age and all that. I try to minimise getting the ZZ to hot as the metal holds heat and could damage the rope if left in the same position on the rope after said decent< I have done it with a figure of 8 training for the footlock. A few years ago I would of said yup as I've been known to glaze a few ropes! The same goes for Jason's ZZ he climbs a lot but it's all pretty controlled