Pricing stock fence and hanging gates

ajmoore1

Hi,

I have been asked to price a fencing job up, usually charge £2m for labour on stock proof fencing. This job is only 310m but is made up of 12 small lengths and 8 wooden gates. So probably 24 strainers and 16 gates posts. Access I s pretty good but probably 40m stretch to do by hand. Client is to supply the materials.

When hanging wooden gates would you use a 7/8inch round post or 8inch square? Square posts taking longer to install as can't knock them in. Also do you use the gate post as a strainer or place strainer 6ft from gate post and rail from strainer to gate post, I prefer not to use the gate post as strainer as if it gets knocked easier to repair. This will obviously have a bearing on the price. Ground is pretty good so should be able to drive most of the posts in but you never know when dealing with under ground stuff.

How do people generally charge for shorter lengths and how much for hanging gates, do you do them cheaper if round posts are knocked in compared to square dug post.

Thanks in advance

Jon

Only my views but as follows, I've put the answers in bold in the appropriate places

Hi,

I have been asked to price a fencing job up, usually charge £2mOn the cheap side for a faff about job like this for labour on stock proof fencing. This job is only 310m but is made up of 12 small lengths and 8 wooden gates. So probably 24 strainers and 16 gates posts. Access I s pretty good but probably 40m stretch to do by hand. Client is to supply the materials.

When hanging wooden gates would you use a 7/8inch round postGo for this is client is happy or 8inch square? Square posts taking longer to install as can't knock them in.I do Also do you use the gate post as a strainer or place strainer 6ft from gate post and rail from strainer to gate post, I prefer not to use the gate post as strainerSensible as if it gets knocked easier to repair. This will obviously have a bearing on the price. Ground is pretty good so should be able to drive most of the posts in but you never know when dealing with under ground stuff. Win some lose some its all in the game

How do people generally charge for shorter lengths£2.50 mtr for this and how much for hanging gates,I charge £40 to knock in the 2 posts and fit furniture, had a look on google the other week, Im half price! do you do them cheaper if round posts are knocked in compared to square dug post.Definitely, I rarely dig in and never concrete wooden posts.

Thanks in advance

Jon

I would be charging £3/metre for the stock fencing, never use gate posts as strainers!!my pet hate! £120/gate, remember its not just the hanging of the gate and fitting the furniture its the break in the fence and all the strutting and extra pulls for the wire that costs you time. Make yourself a big twister and knock the square posts in, I cut a tiny bit off the weathered top, point the other end, send down the rockspike and drive them in. A bit more work than using rounds but still wants to be £100 using round posts. Im not fussed about working for nothing these days, I do a good job and charge accordingly, if they want to use someone cheaper, no skin off my nose.

7x7 gate posts dug in and tamped up gates hung 120 plus materials. Never strain of a gate post the fencing police will arrest you. Charge plenty for short runs. Most of the faffing about in stock fencing is the beginning and end. Short runs take time. Always dig a few small test holes with a grafter when pricing uo to check the ground conditions. Learnt this the hard way puting post and rail up in a beautiful paddock that should have been great knocking perfect going. Typical clay soils no chalk i was made up. Till we hit the threshing pad and found the rubble. 60 posts later alot of swearing and saw arms i vowed to always check

Jim

The knocker I have got hasn't got a rock spike. It's a quantock pd5, (200kg) weight. I am considering swapping but have few options,

1. swap it for a protech 200 with rock spike. Advantages are it's got the rock spike and side shift which mine currently hasn't got.

2. keep my existing knocker and put the money to buy a hydraulic auger for the mini digger. We have got a takeuchi tb016 1.5 ton.

Not sure which would be the best, current knocker struggles with big gate post but if I bored a 4inch pilot hole first would that be ok?

Can only afford to do one so what do people think auger or knocker with bigger weight side shift and rock spike.

Cheers

for 3 years I put up 1000s of meters of fencing with a takeuchi tb016 with a post rammer on, it used to struggle with strainers unless it was good going but I used a auger to predrill a 4" hole and the strainers went in much better then, it was a brilliant little outfit particularly for the smaller faffing around jobs where access would have been an issue for tractors etc.

I use a wrag knocker now with a rock spike which is also good but id say 200kg is the very minimum you want if you want a knocker that does everything.

As far as charging goes, I do anything less than 50meters for £3 PM, depends how many turns etc too. bigger stretches I tend to be between £2-£2.50, although to be honest £2 per meter is starting to become a bit cheap for fencing unless its anything other than nice long straightish lengths in reasonably good ground.

hope this helps!