Small Woodland Management - Help And Guidance Appreciated

Quick intro and background. I own a small 5 acre piece of woodland. It's mostly a mix of Ash and Hazel coppice, with some Ash and Oak standards and a very overgrown shrub layer seemingly mostly of wild roses.

It's not been touched for a few years and is a bit wild. The main aim is to use it for firewood, recreation and to encourage and benefit wildlife. The production of high quality/value timber for someone else in the future would be a nice bonus, but isn't my main focus at the moment.

I've had it for a year or so, but not really done much yet. The shrub layer is very over grown and and I basically haven't even been in most of it yet as it's impenetrable.

I've started on clearing/making some paths to make it more of it accessible and coppiced a very small area to let some light into a struggling patch of bluebells and that's about it so far.

I'm not in the forestry/arb business, but have done quite a bit of reading and research over the last year or so, so not completely clueless at least.

Anyway, you guys seem very knowledgeable and helpful, so after lurking for a while, I thought I'd sign up and get your input and share my and the woods progress.

As a noob, I have various (probably stupid) plans and questions, so I'll just use this thread as and when needed if that's okay.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome mate. interested to see how this thread pans out. in a similar position.

What I have done so far is to divide the woodland up and know that I can't do it all in one year(it is only a small part of my job). I've strimmed all the brambles and removed all the dead wood and the difference even after a couple of weeks is very satisfying. Access paths make everything that bit easier for sure. The first couple of areas are now replanted and slowly seeing the benefit of the hard work. Just know it's a long game to play.

More experienced chaps will be along soon.

Suggestions from someone with a bit more land -

start with a PLAN.

work the plan

dont go off plan (its way to easy to see a section and get stuck into it)

enjoy the fun....

i would suggest mapping out your site and then either clear your boundary or your known tracks, then systematically plan to clear a section per length of time -

once you have your ground cleared you can then really get into the silva cultural practices.

monty don(i think) did a fair little tv show on turning round an old woodland not that long ago.

Thanks both.

A plan and sticking to it sounds like a good idea. makes it a bit less overwhelming.

I was thinking dividing into 6 or 7 zones and coppicing them annually. Would 6 or 7 year old Hazel and Ash be big enough for firewood?

I'm aware deer could be a problem with coppicing, but since the vast majority of it is already Ash and Hazel stools, I don't really have a whole lot of other options. I have seen 1 deer when I've been there, but there isn't a noticeable browse line so I'm kind of hoping it'll be okay.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any known tracks. There's 1 ride, which I intend to widen and extend. I'm just been making paths in between stools/trees as I go so far.

I'd like to put in more rides, but I'm a bit concerned/put off by the potential maintenance.

I've got some Yellow Rattle seed I'm going to sow in the existing ride to try and control the grass a bit and get more variety/wild flowers/wildlife, but no idea if it'll take, or how effective it'll be.

Thanks both.

A plan and sticking to it sounds like a good idea. makes it a bit less overwhelming.

I was thinking dividing into 6 or 7 zones and coppicing them annually. Would 6 or 7 year old Hazel and Ash be big enough for firewood?

I'm aware deer could be a problem with coppicing, but since the vast majority of it is already Ash and Hazel stools, I don't really have a whole lot of other options. I have seen 1 deer when I've been there, but there isn't a noticeable browse line so I'm kind of hoping it'll be okay.

Dividing into zones and coppicing annually sounds good, but 7 years would not be nearly long enough for a firewood coppice. More like 15-20 I'd say, which would mean dividing it up into more areas. However its important not to make them to small, to ensure the stools get enough light for healthy regrowth. Don't eave too many standard trees amongst the coppice for the same reason. 6 per acre seems to be a good guide.

The lack of a browse line doesn't mean you won't have deer problems. The parklands where this occurs have far heavier deer stocking than even the most heavily deer ravaged unfenced woodland. You will still need to protect from deer if you cut coppice as they will severely set back the regrowth. Movable fencing is probably your best option if you're willing to spend a bit. Dead hedging is also an option but takes a lot of labour and stakes (potential product). I have heard of people having success with piling brash ontop of the newly cut stools but the regrowth I have seem from this has been pretty wonky, although this isn't such an issue if you're just after firewood.

Good luck and enjoy!

Dividing into zones and coppicing annually sounds good, but 7 years would not be nearly long enough for a firewood coppice. More like 15-20 I'd say, which would mean dividing it up into more areas. However its important not to make them to small, to ensure the stools get enough light for healthy regrowth. Don't eave too many standard trees amongst the coppice for the same reason. 6 per acre seems to be a good guide.

The lack of a browse line doesn't mean you won't have deer problems. The parklands where this occurs have far heavier deer stocking than even the most heavily deer ravaged unfenced woodland. You will still need to protect from deer if you cut coppice as they will severely set back the regrowth. Movable fencing is probably your best option if you're willing to spend a bit. Dead hedging is also an option but takes a lot of labour and stakes (potential product). I have heard of people having success with piling brash ontop of the newly cut stools but the regrowth I have seem from this has been pretty wonky, although this isn't such an issue if you're just after firewood.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks. Might have to consider 7 sections coppiced every other year then. As you say, don't want them too small. I need more wood! :001_smile:

I don't really want to spend loads if I don't have too, but will have to see. Don't want it all trashed either.

I want to increase the species variety for both bio-diversity and future resilience (considering Chalara and Acute Oak die back etc). All my eggs are well and truly in Oak and Ash baskets at the minute, which could be a bit disastrous. I might be left with just Hazel and Roses in a few years.

I'll keep it 95%+ native (might squeeze a few Walnuts in and Sweet Chestnuts in).

What's the best way of introducing new species? In terms of light and space I mean. Can I just find odd spaces and pop them in, or do i need to clear larger areas and make new stands?