saw won't start, help please

se7enthdevil

hi all my ryobi saw wont start and i'm afraid i don't know too much about engines so don't know how to diagnose whats wrong.

i dusted off the air filter and cleaned the spark plug as it was a bit sooty. will the plug need replacing?

it's not even sounding like it's going to start and would like some help.

thanks in advance.

ps it's been fine so far.

hi all my ryobi saw wont start and i'm afraid i don't know too much about engines so don't know how to diagnose whats wrong.

i dusted off the air filter and cleaned the spark plug as it was a bit sooty. will the plug need replacing?

it's not even sounding like it's going to start and would like some help.

thanks in advance.

ps it's been fine so far.

Try a new plug first . Is the plug getting wet ? If so fuel is getting to where it should and maybe no spark . If its dry fuel is not getting to were it should . This is a cheap ( price of a plug ) starting point

The basic principle of the engine is that it must have spark, fuel and compression.

Spark, take the plug out, place it in the plug cap, earth on the cylinder AWAY from the plug hole and pull the saw over fast looking at the tip for a spark - subdued lighting is best and make sure you don't touch the plug when pulling it over if it isn't earthed. Keep the spark away from the plug hole - I have seen flames a foot long come out of saws before now.

After trying to start the saw, check the spark plug is wet with fuel.

Pickup the saw, hold the recoil handle and let the saw drop - the compression should allow it to drop slowly - if you can measure compression - even better, it should be 150+

If still unsure - take the exhaust off and check the piston through the exhaust port and look for severe scoring.

These are but the first stages of getting a saw running again!

i must say turtlewoods that i've been very impressed with this "cheap saw" and in 5-6 years it's the first trouble i've had.

i will try all that has been suggested (if i can do it) and if i need help i know where to ask.

just on the off chance, is there anyone local who could pop in and show me a few maintenance tips???

Forget the ryobi and break out the stihl!

Sorry, I would pop in but working in Basingstoke for the next six weeks solid so nowhere near, good luck with getting it going.

Did anyone say check the fuel lines change the filter and clean the little tiny gauze in the carb?

As has been said by others, 3 main requirements. Fuel, Spark, Compression.

But in general we find around 80% of engine problems on handheld kit are Fuel related.

So, although this advice may now be a little late, the first thing I do on any small machine that comes in is to drain whatever fuel there is left into a clean glass jar.

If its perfectly clean and clear, with a good colour and smell, then the chances of fuel problems are less (except for fuel pipes). Proceed with the spark and compression tests as said by others.

But often the fuel sample will contain all sorts of contamination which will be clearly seen in the jar. It may be cloudy rather than clear. The cloudiness is suspended water, this will settle to the bottom after a while. There may already be water in the bottom under the cloudy fuel.

If this is the case you can pretty well guarantee the carb needs an overhaul and the test has only taken seconds to perform. In our case we try to do this in front of the customer when he brings the machine in.

Also worth noting that these Ryobi machines are indeed pretty cheaply made. If they work then all well and good. But the components are pretty low quality. After 5 years you can expect some significant piston/bore wear and you (low quality) fuel lines will almost certainly be perished.