couple of cabstar questions

THE88MAN

1) Anyone running newer shape cabstar? (kinda 07 onwards) just wondered if they ok,had an older one for years and its getting tired but been solid as a rock,i may upgrade soon,probably about a 10 plate at the right money

2) Would the tipper body on my old e95 fit the newer ones? thinking maybe buy a dropside (bit cheaper) and swap bodies,guess it might,maybe a silly idea I dunno

THanks guys :001_smile:

We have a 13 plate swb tipper. Had it just coming up to a year. It's been very good for us it all comes down to what you do as usual though. We do a mix of domestic and commercial nothing really off road. It holds chip well pulls well. We only run a small tw 125 but nothing bad to report so far. Having had van derived tippers in the past I would choose this style again. Hope that may be of some help to you.

1) Anyone running newer shape cabstar? (kinda 07 onwards) just wondered if they ok,had an older one for years and its getting tired but been solid as a rock,i may upgrade soon,probably about a 10 plate at the right money

2) Would the tipper body on my old e95 fit the newer ones? thinking maybe buy a dropside (bit cheaper) and swap bodies,guess it might,maybe a silly idea I dunno

THanks guys :001_smile:

i doubt it would fit as its a different chassis. as for if its ok, i have been running these for 20 years now, and this is the best so far. its a different truck altogether.

My only criticism is the lack of dealer support. My local one is useless and have had to make complaints no nssan themselves about them. having just got a new one, i wont need to visit one for two years, and then it will be one much further away.

I bought a cabstar to replace a landy 130 tipper

its a 10 plate with around 65k miles on it.

its been a good vehicle but not without any issues at all.

it was a lease vehicle used by an LA somewhere down south as a plastic recycling collection vehicle, no tow bar on it either so hadn't been worked too hard.

about six months into having it - it needed a new clutch, I put this down to continually stopping & starting and crawling along in its previous life.

to be fair I was expecting a massive bill but I'm sure I remember it was only around £500.

it failed its second MOT on worn suspension bushes and a knackered calliper on the rear.

Unfortunately you cant get bushes alone so it needed whole new dampers, I did all round while I was at it as again It wasn't going to be a big bill - sorry cant remember the total cost.

I remember thinking that the calliper was expensive.

To be fair on the van I think the brake problem was caused as the handbrake lever gets held up a little by the seatbelt clip in the middle seat, The member of staff who drives it likes to use the handbrake to its full potential, so I think it possibly seized on over a weekend after wet weather and stayed on?

Im used to landies and tend to only lightly use the handbrake and park it in gear any way.

its the 130bhp engine and pulls really well, its fine with the chipper, though I wouldn't use it regularly with the Ifor Williams brimmed with logs, its hilly in places around here and you need a bit of weight on the truck for traction - as with the old ones they re pretty light on the back

I'm sure your old body would need some fabrication to fit as D-D-Dan said its almost certainly a different chassis - so I guess it depends how handy/how much time you've got for a project versus having one ready to go to work.

Just in case you notice - I've got one for sale - so I feel I should say that this isn't a sales pitch, and explain that for us - while its great at carrying people and a payload, narrow for domestic driveways, great turning circle, comfortable, you can hear yourself think in it etc. - its pants off road and that's what I need right now, so I've replaced it with another landy.

the older cabstars are still in high demand, theres no denying they were good, but I think there's always a mentality of - they don't make them like they used to... however I'm not sure that's right, and they are starting to get on a bit in age now.