Kiln drying in bulk bags?

skyhuck

A lot of variables in there, depends how the kiln works, what temperature it reaches and where the airflow is located? If you have a shipping container kiln, the fans and heated air is at one end and the exit vents at the other. The Logs at the far end away from the fans get significantly less airflow in boxes, let alone vented bags (which we use for storage/delivery) The bags may be vented but I don't think they are vented anywhere near enough to allow proper drying to occur unless they are right up the end near the fans, and I don't have a great deal of confidence that that will work anyway.

If you bag them before they go in the kiln, then you are guessing that they are dry. How are you going to test a log at the bottom of a bag? Empty it? That defeats the object of trying not to double or triple handle.

In my opinion, if you are going to produce a quality, premium product, then you have to have absolute confidence that what you are selling is exactly that. Also in my opinion, premium products involve a bit of work, not trying to shortcut.

Like any business, your customer is the most important person. If you deliver them good stuff they MIGHT remember you next time and buy from you again. If you deliver them bad stuff, they WILL remember you and WON'T buy from you again and are more likely to tell their mates as well that your stuff is rubbish!! LOL

A lot of variables in there, depends how the kiln works, what temperature it reaches and where the airflow is located? If you have a shipping container kiln, the fans and heated air is at one end and the exit vents at the other. The Logs at the far end away from the fans get significantly less airflow in boxes, let alone vented bags (which we use for storage/delivery) The bags may be vented but I don't think they are vented anywhere near enough to allow proper drying to occur unless they are right up the end near the fans, and I don't have a great deal of confidence that that will work anyway.

If you bag them before they go in the kiln, then you are guessing that they are dry. How are you going to test a log at the bottom of a bag? Empty it? That defeats the object of trying not to double or triple handle.

In my opinion, if you are going to produce a quality, premium product, then you have to have absolute confidence that what you are selling is exactly that. Also in my opinion, premium products involve a bit of work, not trying to shortcut.

Like any business, your customer is the most important person. If you deliver them good stuff they MIGHT remember you next time and buy from you again. If you deliver them bad stuff, they WILL remember you and WON'T buy from you again and are more likely to tell their mates as well that your stuff is rubbish!! LOL

Have you found a solution to getting the crates at the far end of the container to dry at a similar rate to those closer to the fans/heat exchanger?