"Accidentally" cutting neighbours tree

spandit

There is a row of lovely leylandii blocking the light into my bedroom and I'm getting a tree surgeon in to cut back the bits that overhang my boundary, the nature of the tree is that it's quite a lot. However, if he were to top the remainder, what kind of penalties could ensue, assuming the bloody things survive?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you accidentally top a tree? Either you or the arborist, or both, could prosecuted, although I'm not sure what to degree under UK law.

Have a look at this though, I'm not sure if this only applies to hedges or trees too, but there is legislation against evergreens. Anti Social Hedges?!

Perhaps if you trimmed your side into a hedge, then you could ague it's a hedge not a tree.

Regardless of what you may think of next door's shrubbery. How would you feel if your neighbour hopped over and removed half your flowers/veg or smashed your prize winning gnomes?

I'd be impressed they actually did the work themselves!

It was tongue in cheek, I think the anti-social hedge thing is an option but I'll probably just ask them

the way i would deal with this situation is,,,,, ask the client to seek tree owners permission to carry out the work. then when i arrive on site gather both parties together and explain to both what is about to happen.if both parties agree start the saws and chipper and carry on..if there is no agreement then i light a cigarette and retreat to van for a cuppa and let the two reason it out.. if a shouting match starts or they cannot agree i then leave the site.you must have the tree owners permission to cross the boundary and ,although there is scope to remove branches that encroach into your property but only back to the boundary line.and you need to offer your neighbour the arisings if they want them!

If their branches overhang your airspace, it's trespass, for which one is very unlikely to be prosecuted.

If you prune beyond the boundary, without consent, it's criminal damage, and can get quite awkward.

Write a letter to the owner and explain that the trees are to be trimmed back to the boundary and ask whether they wish to have the branch arisings back. Tell them that if they do not reply within, say, 14 days, (a reasonable time period). you will take it that they do not wish to keep the arisings and you will dispose of them for no charge in an environmentally sustainable way.

Ask if a height reduction, giving specifics, would be agreeable to them and ask for a written response.

If they do not come back to you, carry on with the cutting back to boundary. You may, however, not be able to climb the trees without permission, so bear this in mind. Cut back limbs to almost the boundary and remove the arisings.

If you get written consent, happy days.