Woodburner instead of gas fire

Ashes_Firewood

Starting to look at buying a house and will be wanting a woodburner fitting seen as it'll be a bit of free heating for us.

How complicated is it to have a woodburner fitted in a newer house that currently has a gas fire place but not a traditional chimney breast? Pictures attached for an example of the kind of thing I've been looking at. There's no visible chimney stack externally, there's something up there that I'm guessing is related to the gas fire. Is it a big job to get a woodburner fitted in a house like shown?

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1416344393.485665.jpg.6705cba9cbb31f03c06870d2473e5cbd.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1416344375.541077.jpg.6c2798cf543f4a40d3b96aa7c5341eee.jpg

If you've got the chimney outside the house then you won't be getting the benefit, will you? The heat doesn't stay inside, it goes outside.

If I were you, but then again i'm not, i'd buy a house that's already got a chimney built in. An older house. There is a cost issue to consider and then the building work. First off, that new build house is designed to have a combi burner type of heating and a wood burner won't heat your 'house'. The air won't flow up the stairs. So put the money you're going to spend into the purchase of the right house.

As for the building work, it's like buying a Husky and then changing the bar, changing the engine, spraying the plastic casing bright orange and then writing 'Stihl' on the side of it. It ain't a Stihl - never was, never will be. It will always be a crap Husky and you've buggered about with it. If you want a Stihl, buy a Stihl. And buy the right house first time 'round as well. Hope you like the example, no insult to the lower classes intended. :001_tt2:

And you only need a floor vent when you exceed a certain size of burner in a certain size of room. Your fitter will advise you.

Of course you could install a wet system and have a burner with a back boiler, but only if you've got about six grand to play around with and an endless supply of wood.

Where does the flue go when there's no chimney to put it down?

Google Isokern Chimney - Basically this is a pre-cast insulated cimney that comes as individual blocks, which stack one on top of each other with a fireproof sealant in the joints.

Just need a level foundation and run from ground floor up through house to exit at roof level.

Installation depends on internal layout of the dwelling of course.

This is a quality established product, which has been around for many years and will add value to your property.

Always remember - you get what you pay for with 'most' things.

Have a chat with any established builders you know who are over 45 and they will confirm what I say.

Good luck.

Hi Ashes, as said by others its a twin wall flue, not a too bigger job, you only need floor/ wall vents over 5 kW as for the flue you don't get any heat fron the flue itself as its insulated, the heat comes from the stove.

Just in the process of becoming Hetas registered so have looked into all types of stoves and fitting however I don't say I know everything about it yet.