Break ins / thefts - any common MO?

kevinjohnsonmbe

Reading too many break in / theft threads.

Wondering if there are any common factors / trends / MO's that are evident across the different individual circumstances. Is it from a garden shed, a lock up garage, a unit on an industrial site / farm for example?

Conscious of not giving away any individual security measures, but maybe an oversight of the type of circumstances people are being hit in might give us an indication of what is a "good" preventative situation and what might be a higher risk situation?

PCC's are supposed to be all about stat's and targeted policing, maybe a collective / national intelligence lead overview (fed by the collective knowledge of AT) could provide evidence to better target prevention / prosecution??

A good and timely series of questions, I have a couple of theories as to how we are targeted.

Obviously we stand out like a sore thumb on work days, we have adverts, we have our details & purchases on dealer computers, ( which can possibly be compromised ), and we have the good old word of mouth grapevine. Sure there are others..

So getting 'pinged' is all but unavoidable.

I was photographed in my vehicle, and followed, I took a detour and pulled over in a country lane, my followers passed on by.

I assume they wanted my reg no to trace an address and do the ground work either by google earth and/or, a straightforward walk round. Either way they attacked my lockup from a well researched and strategic direction.

It's my opinion that it is a good idea to register any vehicles overtly related to your business, to a different address to your kit.

Same for business address, etc.

Also make sure you perform healthy anti surveillance tactics in general whilst on a return trip.

Security measures speak for themselves,but nothing wrong with some 'alternative & imaginative' measures, they are best if they are one offs, to give a thief a new experience to adapt to and deter.

At the end of the day, if they want to hit you they have the upper hand to start with,minimize that by trying to lower your profile & traceabillity & set multiple hidden deterrents on top of your visible security....make it hard for them on the ground.

There's a crew going around South Wales valleys area at mo, they are targeting tools. The police have said they are using chalk to mark properties to target. They are watching / following people to lockups and homes, then they mark an x or an arrow to show whether to do house or shed etc. this crew are using vw passats as they're favourite method of transport.

Police think they are from the Merthyr area, so watch out anyone local. These guys have no problems doing their thing in the day or night and don't care if people are about.

I noticed a rise in incidents the last few weeks, a sure sign Christmas is coming.

If buying a new trailer especialy Ifor's make sure you are not followed home from the dealers, it's how they knew and tried to get my new one the night it was brought back, and someone local had theirs stolen the night after the dealer delivered it to them, apparently becoming quite common.

The recent spate in Essex seemed to be all approached across fields bordering the target property using a 4x4.

That's how we had 3 bits of kit stolen, including my digger and trailer, it was the least expected way to get them out of the farm,

Reading too many break in / theft threads.

Wondering if there are any common factors / trends / MO's that are evident across the different individual circumstances. Is it from a garden shed, a lock up garage, a unit on an industrial site / farm for example?

Conscious of not giving away any individual security measures, but maybe an oversight of the type of circumstances people are being hit in might give us an indication of what is a "good" preventative situation and what might be a higher risk situation?

PCC's are supposed to be all about stat's and targeted policing, maybe a collective / national intelligence lead overview (fed by the collective knowledge of AT) could provide evidence to better target prevention / prosecution??

Hi mate there a sorry lot when they going nicking others work kit now it getting now near xmas to that does not help thanks Jon

It may be silly i know,but i have never advertised who i am,or where ime from, on any of my trucks,to avoid being followed or bringing attention to where i live.

Yes i know they can follow my chipper back to the yard,but without a chipper i am just another annonymous truck going along the road.

Every little helps as they say.