Climbing gear nicked what should I replace it with

Couldyajust

This weekend I was in a Hymac moving some beech trunks up a bank to make them easier to process and spotted 2 men loading my gear into their van. They were interrupted & left in a hurry dropping my climbing saw & harness as they did so however they had already helped themselves to the rest of my climbing gear along with various other tools. As a result my climbing gear now consists of one Komet Butterfly 2 harness what should I get to go with it?

I don't climb a lot as I prefer to get the monkey winch out for takedowns and use a silky if just pruning so cannot justify spending too much however there are situations where I do have to dismantle trees because it is not practical or possible to pull them over. I also do a fair bit of work on very steep banks/alongside sheer drops so need a safety line and the means to get to a tree in that situation.

I will definitely have to replace my spikes which is going to be a strain on my budget as it is unless I can find some secondhand ones aside from that I am looking for suggestions on a low cost climbing setup.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the lack of interest I thought I may as well update this.

Insurance company is not paying out because gear was not secured in my van at the time it was stolen so I am buying bits & pieces as & when I have a few quid spare.

So far I have:

Carbon fibre gecko spikes (familiarity)

Spiderjack (familiarity)

Petzl grillon 3m (secondhand from a mate)

Assorted crabs (secondhand from a mate)

Obviously not enough to climb yet so it leaves me needing:

Rope (I'm thinking blue tongue again unless someone has a better suggestion for use with a spiderjack)

Wirecore flipline

Helmet

Throwline

Rigging gear

That should pretty much cover it unless I am missing something obvious. Previously I had a lot of extra kit which basically did the same thing this time I am trying to keep it to a minimum to avoid unnecessary expense.

To save a little money, go for the Aluminium Gecko spikes. They are as comfortable as the carbon ones, but more durable (you CAN walk on concrete), adjustable length, and only unnoticeably heavier.

Edited by morten

I have already bought the spiderjack & the spikes. Remaining items may come from local dealers too or i might just order them online as what's left is starting to sound more affordable now.

The main reason for the spiderjack is because I work alone far more often than I should & I can ascend & descend so much faster with it than I can using a prussik when I am doing the job of a groundie too.

Walking in spikes is not a major issue as more often than not i will be in a field in the middle of nowhere, halfway up a mountain or along a riverbank etc... it's not often I am in in urban setting. Access to the site is usually a bigger problem which is a good point I had better add a second rope & grab for getting up/down particularly steep slopes.

Climbing kit is a personal choice but good choice on the SJ and well done on being able to drive a Hymac.

Built by the Welsh for the Irish to drive, not at all logical or simple to drive. I had one as a yard machine for a few years and every Irish digger driver who came near it got all nostalgic and teary eyed over it:thumbup1:

I'd leave out the flipline if you've already got a grillon. Saves a bit of cash

Wirecore flipline gives more protection when cutting although I have never cut a rope yet I am not sure I want to risk it. I have also been known to climb with just a lanyard a flipline & spikes but no mainline. I know it is not best practice but I always have a point of attachment as having both allows me to switch between them to get past obstructions without leaving myself at risk of falling.

Climbing kit is a personal choice but good choice on the SJ and well done on being able to drive a Hymac.

Built by the Welsh for the Irish to drive, not at all logical or simple to drive. I had one as a yard machine for a few years and every Irish digger driver who came near it got all nostalgic and teary eyed over it:thumbup1:

The Hymac is a museum piece with a lot of quirks & always makes me nervous when going under overhead cables but the reach does come in very useful at times. I have access to a lot of machines at very favourable rates as I do all the tree work for a groundworks/plant hire company but I don't always get to pick the machine I want, it all depends what is available at the time so I have to be able to use every machine they own.

Where did the theft happen ? I see your based in Powys.

Near Bont Dolgadfan identity of thieves is now known (opportunists from Drenewydd) but can't be proved & given that families reputation I certainly won't be approaching them.

Wirecore flipline gives more protection when cutting

Pffffft.

I have also been known to climb with just a lanyard a flipline & spikes but no mainline. I know it is not best practice but I always have a point of attachment as having both allows me to switch between them to get past obstructions without leaving myself at risk of falling.

This is more dangerous than using rope instead of a flipline imo