Beginners Shopping list

quixoticgeek

Am a complete beginner to the arb world. Have started my ABC level 2, and am saving up to get my saw and do my CS30/31. What I am trying to work out is what I need to get to head to the woods. So far my shopping list is:

- Saw

- PPE

- Fuel/Oil cans

- Sharpening equipment (What do I need?)

- Spare chain

- Breaker bar

- First aid kit

- Bag to put tools in.

What are the other essentials for a beginner for light felling/cross cutting?

What's in your sharpening kit?

What are the "It's not essential, but it really makes life easier to have" items?

What did you buy thinking you would need then realise you should have saved your money ?

Cheers

Julia

Am a complete beginner to the arb world. Have started my ABC level 2, and am saving up to get my saw and do my CS30/31. What I am trying to work out is what I need to get to head to the woods. So far my shopping list is:

- Saw

- PPE

- Fuel/Oil cans

- Sharpening equipment (What do I need?)

- Spare chain

- Breaker bar

- First aid kit

- Bag to put tools in.

What are the other essentials for a beginner for light felling/cross cutting?

What's in your sharpening kit?

What are the "It's not essential, but it really makes life easier to have" items?

What did you buy thinking you would need then realise you should have saved your money ?

Cheers

Julia

Your list is close to what you need but don't do it in that order,if you see a bargain and or you think you need it just buy it,you can never have anough kit, chainsaw first and decide which type will suite you best,if ground work and logging etc get a sthil Ms 260. Very light but powerful. The rest will come along in time. Get looking on e-bay for your felling bars,tongs etc.

Your list is close to what you need but don't do it in that order,if you see a bargain and or you think you need it just buy it,you can never have anough kit, chainsaw first and decide which type will suite you best,if ground work and logging etc get a sthil Ms 260. Very light but powerful. The rest will come along in time. Get looking on e-bay for your felling bars,tongs etc.

Yeah, there is no order to the list, it was as I thought of it. The reason for this thread is so I know what to look for when on ebay or the local arb merchant's.

With the sharpening gear, several of the online arb stores sell "Sharpening kit" like this one:

OREGON SHARPENING STARTER Maintance Kits ((Special Offer)) - Accessories/Lubricants Buy Saw Chain Maintenance Buy UK

Is that all I need to keep my chain in good nick, or do I need other items?

Julia

Yeah, there is no order to the list, it was as I thought of it. The reason for this thread is so I know what to look for when on ebay or the local arb merchant's.

With the sharpening gear, several of the online arb stores sell "Sharpening kit" like this one:

OREGON SHARPENING STARTER Maintance Kits ((Special Offer)) - Accessories/Lubricants Buy Saw Chain Maintenance Buy UK

Is that all I need to keep my chain in good nick, or do I need other items?

Julia

Ya that's good to start with, you don't need loads of different size files at the mo. Just start small and stay within your budget and what you can afford. Also ask for things what you need for birthdays,Xmas. It's supriseing how your kit builds up.felling bars new bout £60, tongs £30. But keep your eye on eBay. Tree surgery and forestry.:thumbup:

Wayne.

Take my grandfather's advice -

If you need it get the best you can afford at the time.

If you want it save till you can afford the best available at the time and it'll last you longer and cost you less in the long run.

If you can do your course and get a chance to use some different gear before getting your own it'll help you decide what you like in brands, size etc.

Good luck with it all and post your progress and don't be shy to ask, there a lot on here willing to give good advice.

When I first started I bought a husqvarna 550 xpg saw with 15 inch bar. Two years later I still think its a great first saw. Light, powerful and fast enough to gain a lot of skill using it. But not to powerful and to fast. Simple Oregon sharpening kit, you'll soon need spare files they wear out fast.

A work bench or table of some sort for maintaining the saw and a good size vice helps for learning to sharpen the saw.

Re PPE, good fit is really important. You could easily end up wearing it more than your normal clothes. Type C trousers are a good idea for your first pair. Good boots, you'll almost certainly need some waterproofs. If not high viz bright colours. There are many situations in tree work where the easier you are to be seen the safer you are. Don't forget a personal first aid kit with large dressing. Get in the habit of carrying it all the time at work. Many don't but when you need it for self or others, you need it instantly!

Other things like felling levers, tongs etc will depend on the work you get involved with.

Take my grandfather's advice -

If you need it get the best you can afford at the time.

If you want it save till you can afford the best available at the time and it'll last you longer and cost you less in the long run.

If you can do your course and get a chance to use some different gear before getting your own it'll help you decide what you like in brands, size etc.

Good luck with it all and post your progress and don't be shy to ask, there a lot on here willing to give good advice.

Aye, also known as the Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Inequality.

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice - Discworld & Terry Pratchett Wiki

I'd rather spend an extra month or so saving up for something worth having, than buy cheap, and have to buy again.

Julia . Hi bud . Obviously get the right kit for the type of chain you are using . Probably .325 or 3/8 and a flat file if its not in the kit to take the rakers down ( depth gauges ) when they need it.

The kit I linked to includes the flat file.

Julia

When I first started I bought a husqvarna 550 xpg saw with 15 inch bar. Two years later I still think its a great first saw. Light, powerful and fast enough to gain a lot of skill using it. But not to powerful and to fast. Simple Oregon sharpening kit, you'll soon need spare files they wear out fast.

Ok, that explains why the files are sold in packs of 10...

A work bench or table of some sort for maintaining the saw and a good size vice helps for learning to sharpen the saw.

I have a little 4" vice in the living room, and a bigger 8" vice in the shed (awaiting a suitable stump). Also have my eye on one of those bar vices you bang into a stump, to hold the bar while you sharpen the saw.

Re PPE, good fit is really important. You could easily end up wearing it more than your normal clothes. Type C trousers are a good idea for your first pair. Good boots, you'll almost certainly need some waterproofs. If not high viz bright colours. There are many situations in tree work where the easier you are to be seen the safer you are. Don't forget a personal first aid kit with large dressing. Get in the habit of carrying it all the time at work. Many don't but when you need it for self or others, you need it instantly!

Other things like felling levers, tongs etc will depend on the work you get involved with.

I have ordered some class C trousers.

I carry a first aid kit all the time, 1 large, 1 medium dressing on my waist belt at all times.

I already have my FAW ticket (plus some enhanced training).

Julia