Going Self employed pros & cons thoughts ?

Davidlong1990

Life, and work is unpredictable. So you'd better be reliable. And keen, interested, easy to get on with, safe, self motivated and offer value for money.

And it depends on what kind of service you are going to offer. Do you turn up with all your own kit? Own PPE? Transport? Just you or are you going to be a man with saw? Or are you a man with saw, chipper, chip truck, climbing kit and insurance? What's your offering and why should someone like me employ someone like you?

What can you reasonably charge for a days work and is that going to be profitable for you?

So think about what the market near you needs - what's missing? - and can you fill that gap? What's the distance you're prepared to travel? Whose going to do the books? How do you get the work?

But if it works, and you're working 5 days a week, you should be earning more and if you organise your accounts right, end up with more dosh. Which is the real reason for going alone, isn't it?

D

Why do you wish to be self-employed? What are your future aims and ambitions? Why do you think you'll be better off self-employed?

What plans do you have if your health takes a turn for the worst, or you get an injury, say a knackered shoulder that just won't fix? How will you feed your family without regular income? These are more of a test than how quickly you can climb, or send or fell, the pressure to earn when you hurt is real pressure.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a working tree cutter, I'm self-employed and I love most of the job some of the time. If I was employed, I would have been let go by now (health reasons) but I'm my own boss and I work to suit myself. Just make sure you can.

And good luck if that's what you decide. :thumbup1:

Free days - if you are good and priced right you will have very few of them. If you have loads of free days then something is wrong.

If you are looking for other companies to effectively train you up so you can eventually compete against them for work be very careful what you say to your employers.

Be sure to compete on a level playing field with the other subbies in your area, if they are going out with saws/fuel do the same. You will also find that most companies use subbie either for the really crap or really difficult jobs. Can you do any tree?

I've owned my business for over 16 years. Although it isn't a tree service, all small business have similarities. You can make a lot of money if you are willing to work hard.

If I have work scheduled, I can't call in sick. Hurt? Still work. Sick kid? Stop the job, get the kid, go back to work. Benefits? Only if I allocate. Which I am terrible at. Insurance? Expensive but necessary.

There are many wonderful things about being your own boss, but don't forget to look at all aspects.

realistically if you go free lance you will probably find yourself working with the same handful of tree surgeons. depending on your current overheads and ability, if you set yourself a decent day rate you can be flexible - 3 days one week, 5 the next for example.... it is doable, and definitely worth doing - but you may find people less willing to invest their time in you as a subby, which is worth noting. make sure you have some cash in the bank !