wood veneering

harvey b davison

Hi, i have a small wooden jewelry type box that has sentimental value for my dad. It is a plain wooden box about 80 yr old. He has asked me if i can do anything with it. It looks like it was originally veneered, so this is how i want to restore it.I am wanting to cover it with burr walnut veneer. i have seen several places on the net where i can buy it from, unless anybody on here can supply me some. However i have never done any veneering so any hints or tips would be most welcome.

thanks.

I have done it but my wife is the expert.

Don't try to cut the veneer to size first - leave it oversize in panels, at least 1cm all round. Once stuck down it will be nice and stiff on its backing and much easier to trim.

You will need a veneer hammer to smooth it down - this is easy to improvise with a bit of dowel and a piece of hardwood - look on ebay for pictures!

Use proper pearl glue - it's worth it in the end. If you have a glue pot, great, but any small metal container can be used if you are careful. If you haven't used pearl glue before, read the instructions on how much water to add. I used the metal top of an aerosol and heated it very gently over a candle to melt it. Keep the glue pot covered to keep the mix right and if you overheat it, throw it away as it won't work.

Soak the veneer in water overnight, before cutting the piece to size as then it won't splinter (so much!) and keep it damp until using.

Clean every last scrap of old glue and finish off the box - washing with warm soapy water and a rinse with clean warm water will do it - raising the grain is not a problem.

Once you've brushed on the melted glue, placed the veneer and smoothed it down with the hammer, you can either hold it in place with a weight, or if you've got the glue right it will 'tack' when it cools a bit - leave it to dry out fully overnight. If you have any bubbles, prick them while the glue is still warm and squeeze out the glue/air. Once dry, the veneer will shrink down and any prick holes won't be visible.

If you get confident, you could do several pieces at a time, but caution says do one piece, let it dry, trim it, then do the next the following day. It will take longer but be more certain.

Do consider whether you want to use modern thin veneer or old fashioned veneer which was sawn about 1/8" thick.

Alec

• 1 month later...