Egg-shaped burial pods feed the trees and turn cemeteries into forests

enrieb

"The Capsula Mundi concept, from designers Anna Citelli and Raoul Bretzel, uses an egg-shaped burial pod made from biodegradable starch plastic as the coffin, in which the body is placed in a fetal position and buried under the ground. A tree (or tree seed) is then planted over the top of the pod, which will use the nutrients from the decomposing body as fertilizer for its growth.

Although the Capsula Mundi is still a design concept, not an actual option for those planning for their funerals (in part because of regulations about burials and cemeteries), the designers hope that in the future, this type of burial will be allowed and "memory parks" full of trees will be planted. Instead of cemeteries full of headstones, the trees would serve as living memorials to the deceased."

Egg-shaped burial pods feed the trees and turn cemeteries into forests : TreeHugger

Would this create a good source of nutrients for a tree? or even provide a stable base? I've always wondered if trees planted over coffins are potentially unstable, as and when, the space in the coffin collapses over time.

I like the idea. What do you think?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to get some big scots pine out of a cemetery after '87, looked easy enough, but the keeper said as drove in with the tractor " watch out when the boxes go" so I had them slabbed and carried them out by hand as I was a bit spooked

generally though, I like the green burial thing

Planting things over corpses to feed them isn't a new concept: I've heard lore concerning planting roses over a fish and something else over a sheep!

So I suppose a human corpse could provide some nutrient but what would it be by the time the roots reached it?

As for burying someone in the foetal position; great. Cemeteries are overcrowded with stretched out folk so you could really cram them in!