Apprentice help !!

Davidlong1990

Hi ive just completeled my trees +timber apprenticship at Plumpton college

Having quilfied with cross cutting maintaince and climbing and ariel rescue tickets im now 2 years in to my job and my employer still hesitates to get me climbing and to teach me reductions ect starting to feel fustrated and hit a brick wall any advice on what too do ? Do i just give up and spend rest my life as dogs body or look at moving firms any advice would be great thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah have asked to do more start learning more im 24 so bit older than most apprentices so have more ambition to be more than just a grounds men but seems like goes in 1 ear and out other were only a team of 2 and a half so understand its diffcuilt because they need to make money 1st but getting to point where had enough

Im going to the APF fair friday and saturday do u think worth asking around there ? Thanks

Yeah have asked to do more start learning more im 24 so bit older than most apprentices so have more ambition to be more than just a grounds men but seems like goes in 1 ear and out other were only a team of 2 and a half so understand its diffcuilt because they need to make money 1st but getting to point where had enough

Im going to the APF fair friday and saturday do u think worth asking around there ? Thanks

It is full of suppliers and shoppers.

Its unlikely they will be looking for staff but you never know, there are a couple of agencies that might be there

I'd love to have staff who are keen to climb,

We had a apprentice once I got him climbing on his first day to see if he had a head for it, and when ever we had a easy day I'd let him have climb once I had a line in.

The apprenticeship never worked out but if I ever took on staff again it would be with a view to take some of the climbing work of me

There's a shortage of decent keen staff so I'm sure ringing around you'll find someone who will give you the chance

Well thats it the eventual plan is to start up selfie employed and have my own buisness but just need the teaching of good tree work and after 10 years or so then start up myself

If that's your plan that might be why he's not so keen, if I invested time into someone it would be for staff not to create the competition