killing sycamores

cornish wood burner

I don't find they sucker, so it's only the regrowth that will need killing. If you can get back to them fairly easily, I found mine died after knocking the regrowth off a couple of times. If you want to go chemical, Garlon is pretty definitive at killing stumps if you can still get it.

Alec

I don't find they sucker, so it's only the regrowth that will need killing. If you can get back to them fairly easily, I found mine died after knocking the regrowth off a couple of times. If you want to go chemical, Garlon is pretty definitive at killing stumps if you can still get it.

Alec

Thanks Alec Getting back to them later might be difficult. The adjoining proberty will be sold soon and I was hoping to sort the trees before that. New neighbours might be a problem, then the trees would eventually push my wall down. If I can kill them chemically once and for all it would save any potential hassle.

I put a few cuts in the top of a recently cut stump and poured some SBK on it. Haven't had anything come back 3 years later.

We used SBK for 10 years but they changed the Active ingredients and now not so good.

Roundup allegedly effective or the plug, but they work out expensive unless you are a slow worker using a liquid control.

Two things I did not mention originally

1 am an engineer so any thing I buy probably will not be used after this job.

Although it is with the owners consent these sycamores are not really my trees so I would baulk at spending a lot of money on professional products. Bearing in mind they are small trees it would be ideal if something I have already would do the job. Any mileage in drilling and filling with creosalt (which needs to go anyway) or diesel. I have a few weed killers such as normal roundup, grazon, glyphogan etc.

If you think I am wasting my time with these then I will need to put my hand in my pocket and buy one of the suggested products.

Thanks for the info.

Edited by cornish wood burner

If they're only small trees, 3 ins, then just fell them to as close to ground level as possible and just paint a generous amount of neat round up on the fresh cut stump with a decent sized paintbrush. If any basal shoots appear next year, just rub/snap them off before they get going.

After all we only want to stop the tree from regrowing don't we, not poison the environment. Please don't drill the stump the stump and fill it with diesel. You'll be leaving the roots and cambium intact so the tree will flush with a lot of basal growth next spring, whilst mean time the diesel is insidiously poisoning the ground all around the tree, killing off a lot more flora & fauna in the process. :thumbdown:

You can slather the stump with as much roundup as you've got in the back of the shed mate, and what doesn't get absorbed by the tree and roots will quickly becomes inert once its absorbed into the soil. :thumbup1:

If you've already got some Roundup, then you won't have to fork out more dosh buying some of the other recommended products in previous posts, and you won't have had to do any drilling either..... :thumbup: