So, like iffen I dont go to the APF, I got £500.00 to spend on an Inverter welder

difflock

So am no going.:crying:

But which welder?:stupido2:

With which "extras":hmmmm:

I am bamboozled by all the blurb, most of which is probably offering extras I dont need/wont use.

Do I need/want the TIG facility?

Do I need "pluse", though I do wish to be able to weld thin steel.

I do however wish to "max out" on a 16Amp/blue socket supply (right beside the consumer unit in the shed which is fed off a 16mm2 SWA cable)

cheers

Marcus

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll pick up a good arc inverter welder for probably half your £500 and most of them will run on a 13 amp supply and an extension lead if you are not using full power all the time. My friend has a Thermal Arc 175 se which cost £215 and it does a brilliant job. You don't need pluse or pulse :D but an arc welder is not the ideal tool for welding thin sheet. You will struggle on anything under 2mm.

Thanks Peatff, must be 6 or 9 months since I last looked, and I was surprised at how affordable they had become.

I Might also then buy a plasma cutter.

cheers

M

OOPs

Arbo . . .

Posted while i was typing

Thanks for the link, anything with a expected life of over 30 years Hobby use is overkill

cos I will(probably) be dead:lol:

Edited by difflock

You can buy 'cheap and cheerfull' but this unitis built to last, which I expect Is high on your list of Specs.

Might be a quality item but very low output. Probably fine for biscuit tins but if you want one to weld reasonably thick steel you will need 180 amp minimum. It will take you ages otherwise. Personally I would speak to your local welding supplier to see what he recommends.

There are plenty out there with better performance and cheaper.