value of yew planks?

hamilton32

Hi, I was hoping someone with experience would be able to tell me the value of Yew planks that measure 1inch x 8inch x 6ft as i never bought or sold this sort of thing before. My landlord has milled numerous bits of larch and yew and I want 4 yew planks to make a table top and want to make a fair offer.

He has a fair few planks and pieces of 4x4 just sat there he wants to sell them but he's not sure what it is worth and who to approach, any ideas, do you think local carpenters would be a good shout?

Any help would be much appreciated cheers!

hi value is a hard one I would like to pay say £25/30 for 4 planks that size but other people may differ selling I would put an advert in your local paper and parish mag if you have one obviously if you bump into carpenters crafts people ask them

Cheers Mark

Work out the cubic footage - ie. length by width by depth in inches.

Divide by 1728. That's how many cube.

If dry then around £30 to £40 for good quality yew, if wet then around £20ish but prices of wood are subject to big variations...

:001_smile:

theres yew and there yew,,,smaller diameter stuff can have a lot of shake,and be pretty much useless,then on the other hand it can be rippled with stunning colours, bit of luck really and price can vary from £20m3 to 60 m3 ,,,all depends,,,and obviously on the end product whether its worth buying at what price,,

Thats a great help thanks. The wood's dry, not warped and its got some really nice grain i'm hoping it will turn out well with a sand off and coat.

I assume 'shake' is a weakness in the wood, I wouldn't know what to look for!

Shakes are cracks, usually going in from the end.

When you measure as per Rob D's advice, it is conventional to measure the smallest cuboid you could get out of it, ie narrowest continuous width board you could cut, with square ends (thickness is usually uniform but if not then the smallest thickness). This isn't absolute for funny shapes but is the norm.

Watch out for the dust when you sand it as it's poisonous. Wear a mask.

Alec

A large well known timber merchant I've used takes the view that shakes, ingrown bark and other 'defects' are not measured out and should be accepted in yew. Not sure that I entirely agree with this approach but if you accept that yew has 'character' rather than perfection in large sections, and use it appropriately, it can be very good.

Andrew