Sugihara bars & beginner question

JamieMcMxc

I want to get into carving, just have a couple of questions.

Has anybody used Sugihara carving bars? They look pretty good quality, seen them for £80-£90. Is that a decent price, or is there something better/equally good for a lower price?

Also, I have a Stihl MS261, and can handle it pretty easily when doing regular tree work. But, would it be worth buying something smaller and lighter?

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys :biggrin:

Cannon and sugi are about the best bars. Oregon sculptor bars are about £60 and may suit you if only carving now and then.

As said before a smaller saw would be easier and they will have a standard bar mount C1 I think. You will need a quarter sprocket too to run carving chain.

Not sure about sugi but cannon also do the bigger S1 mount that would fit your 261. You can get 3\8 picco and 1/4 rims for that saw, I run a couple on the older 026's

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Sugi bars are good I use a 12" on my MS200.

Your 261 is perfect for blocking out and basic carving but you would need something a little more manoeuvrable in my opinion to finish.

A Stihl MS150 I find a good reasonably priced saw for finish even with the 10" standard bar it comes with. Recently I bought a Echo CS-280WES with a 8" cannon bar, great price and very accurate.

All my saws run on Aspen fuel now.

sugi bars last 3-4 or more times longer than Oregon prolite bars on the processor. but are hell to dress, angle grinder as opposed to file.

thanks for reminding me, i will go and get another for spare. may have to start cutting before Christmas if log sales continue like this.