who uses waterproofs?

Maxnaggle

hey all, just wondering who actually uses waterproofs? i tend not to, because I've never had any that actually work properly! i end up getting annoyed with the restricted movement and how cumbersome they can feel... I've also noticed a lot of other arbs are that way inclined.

can anyone recommend any waterproofs which are also wind proof, durable, light weight, and breathable???

thanks !

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

any decent tough waterproofs just make me sweat as they arnt breathable enough.

you either dripping wet with sweat or rain, so it makes no difference.

if you do find some that ticks all three boxes, please do let us know.

I have tried all sorts and nothing works so don't bother with them really, I just carry a few changes of clothes.

ian

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I use a Field Smock made by Country Covers and I've not had a problem with it.

It's not the lightest of tops so it only really get brought out on the wet winter days but with just a T shirt on underneath you can wear it on a slightly warmer day; it's not that cheap either, but I've had mine for a few years and it was a lot cheaper back then.

It's not too cumbersome and I had them make mine it little longer in the arm to allow for reaching as I hate having jacket arms rise up. It has a hood that can get in the way a bit but you can roll it up (somehow) to make a larger collar.

Sometimes if I'm working on the ground I'll wear sealskin gloves. It doesn't matter how wet you are, if you have dry hands, you feel 100% better! They usually dont wet out for about 2-3 hours of heavy rain + dragging. Dont climb or rig with them though :)

I also wear a cut and cilmb jacket, nice and breathable and light, but it keeps the worst of the wet off of you :)

In the colder winter days, doing lighter work such as treeplanting I use them if the weather is wet. I agree with the sweat or wet comments, The gain is being able to work on a write off day. Also the more layers the better underneath to spread the moisture.

They are more suited to stand around safety/supervisor roles.

You do get less wet wearing them.

I think it matters more in the winter.

Yes, they make you sweat, but at least sweat is swarm. Sleet isn't.

I've given up looking for the Holy Grail of waterproof and breathable, although I also have a Country Covers smock which is pretty good.

I bought a farmer-type Sealflex jacket last winter, which was properly waterproof but hardly breathable. You can't have it all I think.ImageUploadedByArbtalk1408295825.136366.jpg.a79c1efb9e6ea255764230d7a7083fb3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

I use a couple of cheapish light waterproofs that usually get wet through in a few hours, once the first one is wet through I change over after bait, cant stand putting on wet coats again after I have stopped for a break, I remember a few years ago my mother in law bought me some heavy duty fishermens waterproofs from some ex army navy store place, bright yellow and seemed like they were half an inch thick, they creaked and cracked with the slightest of movements, a total non starter for working in the wood but I just smiled with enthuiasm and said thats just the job, I didnt have the heart to tell her after the the trouble she took to get them,, I took them to the skip the next day never to be seen again.