Why is sweet chestnut so hard to dry?

Woodworks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the title says.

I can dry all other species in half the time that sweet chestnut takes. Why is it so reluctant to release it's water?

I have no idea. Very similar to oak in more ways than one. I had 30 tons of chestnut cord in the garden once. Even when it had stood for three years it was still wet when I cut it.

The chestnut is proving far harder to dry than even oak. No problems getting oak dry in six to eight months during the summer but the chestnut I just tested has been cut and spit a year and is still reading up to 30% in the middle.

that is VERY interesting, it is also one of the most rot resistant, useful info guys:001_cool:

that is VERY interesting, it is also one of the most rot resistant, useful info guys:001_cool:

Ah yes and thats why I bought a load. Most of it has been turned into fence posts for the farm but I had some left over so logged it. Hope it does burn well when finally dry.

How about Alder?

That was used for 'piles' for jetties and even ones from the Roman period can be found in river mud today.

Any-one burned that once dry if it dries at all?

Ty

Dries and burns very well, but rots quickly when not fully submerged. Seasoned alder seems to easily reabsorb moisture if left on soggy ground too.

As the title says.

I can dry all other species in half the time that sweet chestnut takes. Why is it so reluctant to release it's water?

Odd you are having problems drying sweet chestnut, I coppice Dec through to March, process , split and net the chestnut March through to May left stacked where sun and wind can get at it, it will be lovely to burn by Oct, might spit a bit though.

Have been doing it this way for over 25 years now and haven't had any complaints from customers to date regarding the logs being difficult to burn.

Edited by BCF
wanted to add to it