Personal Accident Insurance

David Dobedoe

One of the lads I work with has managed to cut his hand quite badly with a hedge cutter. He won't / shouldn't be at work for at least 6 weeks. (Don't ask!)

Makes yer/me think!

I am considering personal accident insurance?

Can I afford it?

I am involved in Forestry and Arb type work including climbing.

What would I expect to pay for what cover?

Any companies particularly good or bad when it comes to needing to claim?

Thoughts please

D

My personal accident insurance covers me at work,when I subbie for other people, when im not at work and even on holidays. Can you afford a bad injury stopping you from working? I see it as a necessary cost to protect my future and familys future

Can anyone afford not to have either accident or sickness cover? Unless you're lucky enough to be directly employed by the NHS or a very large business, I doubt you'd get paid othar than SSP for a limited period. Serious accidents, or serious illness, drastically change your life financially when you are out of action. Insurance means you do not need worry about household bills, finance payments, and other when you're at you're lowest. Also, make sure your spouse/partner is covered adequately, as in the case of their accident/sickness, you may need large amounts of time off work to care for them.

Of course, insurance may be seen as a waste of money, you may go through life unscathed and perfectly fit, but the odds are seriously stacked against that!!

As always, don't necessarily opt for the cheapest offer, read the smallest print carefully, make sure you're getting the cover you really need.

• 3 months later...

I broke my leg back in March pretty bad. Didn't have cover in place and it ruined my year and potentially longer. Just started to get back to a bit of work after 6months out and just had more surgery for screws to come out, so another week out at least. Next year the main metal rod will be out and that's another month or so off, not going to be a good earning year so I reckon £30-40 a month is worth it, I'm going to be down at least £10,000 due to this.

It's easy to say it won't happen to you, I pride myself on being a safe worker but this was just one of those unforeseen accidents, take it from me, it's worth it...