Apparently, "felling a tree isn't hard"

Simon Rotheram

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Worth noting that this is on their US site (note the use of the word 'pants' and the spelling of the word 'ax').

They are right of course - felling a tree isn't hard. If you cut it through, it will fall. If you want to avoid damaging people and property it becomes a little more challenging...

Alec

that is a very very irresponsible guide.....

if the tree is dead or has butt rot, it can react very different and be unpredictable to fell.

ash likes to split and if you got the cuts wrong it could easily split and injure you.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

"To estimate how tall the tree is, and how much space you will need on the ground, hold an ax in front of you vertically, with your arm straight. It should be at arm’s length. Close one eye and slowly back way from the tree. Keep walking until the top of the ax lines up with the top of the tree and the bottom lines up with the base of the tree. The place you are standing is about where the top of the tree will land."

And I thought you just walked away then bent over and peered backwards between your legs! :lol:

"Remember, before you start this project it’s essential that you wear proper safety equipment. It’s recommended that you wear long sleeves and pants to protect your skin from flying chips of wood and branches" Never mind protection from the chainsaw itself LOL, flying branches??!!

depends on the tree really. i've dropped two trees over the road from me as the guys were going to kill themselves, they were using an electric chainsaw.

one conifer which was nice ans straight and there was 30' to let it fall in to. topped it, stripped it, dropped it. simple...

the other was in the same garden and was a beech looking for the light under a large oak at 45 degrees ans was more of a challenge as the neighbours fence would have been crushed if i had just dropped it. i cut a wedge the opposite side of the fence and as they pulled on a rope i cut in from the other side.

both were relatively small trees 15' and 30', common sense should tell you how to chop down a tree and when to call in a pro...