Time to Replace Stihl 4 mix

mowandgo

I have had enough of my 4 mix combi engines I have a KM100R & KM130R. They both fill up the air filter with fuel via the breather, there both very hard to start, they dont hold revs very well, the valves allways need adjusting, they sound like there labouring all the time with that stupid 4 stroke noise, there deffently heavier snd I think they use same amount of fuel as a 2 stroke rember the 130R is like 36cc a 2 stroke can do more with just 25cc. In there deffence they do work hard week in week out and the attachments Hedge Cutter, Strimmer & pole saw seem to do a great job with much abuse. I like combis because you allways have engine unit ready like when one bends a valve and when both are going you can run two tools!

I used to have the 35cc Honda Strimmer it worked hard but compared to a 2 stroke it was very heavy, vibrated alot (like 4mix) was akawrd if at all possible to run upside down, used a fair amout of fuel too, revs did not pick up quick like a 2 stroke. I like Stihl attachments the only 2 stroke choice on a combi is KM55R but the vibs are high and the triger is hard plastic not ruber important if your on the triger all day.

Maybe time for a complete change like Husqvarna or Tanaka or Maybe Makita. Whats your dealings with other makes guys and do you have same troubles with 4 mix/4stroke?

If you're destroying shafts (solid ones too if it's a KM-130) then you're doing something wrong?

Do you mean the backpack unit? Because they are a flexi shaft and as such you obviously have to be careful with them.

OP- just seen that you don't like the FS-55 trigger. This might fit the bill- 2mix, same power, same price as FS-70 and also a solid shaft: FS 94 RC-E - Comfortable 0.9kW brushcutter with loop handle, ErgoStart and ECOSPEED

It looks good much better than FS55 FS90 FS100 & FS130. But its not a combi and vibs on paper are higher than Husqvarna 327 which iam more drawn towards at the moment. Also i like the short shaft combi hedge cutter attachment what Husqvarna do. Its all food for thought!

I have learnt one thing on this Thread you cant beat a good 2 stroke :)

If you're destroying shafts (solid ones too if it's a KM-130) then you're doing something wrong?

Do you mean the backpack unit? Because they are a flexi shaft and as such you obviously have to be careful with them.

OP- just seen that you don't like the FS-55 trigger. This might fit the bill- 2mix, same power, same price as FS-70 and also a solid shaft: FS 94 RC-E - Comfortable 0.9kW brushcutter with loop handle, ErgoStart and ECOSPEED

No I meant shafts , just rounds the ends off. Destroyed 4 hedges cutter gear boxes as well, and one blower set of bearings, on a whole Imo I think they are just should not be classed as professional products.. I had an 8 year old Hl 75 that outlasted two km 130's and its solid geared hedge cutter never needed replacing once.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

No I meant shafts , just rounds the ends off. Destroyed 4 hedges cutter gear boxes as well, and one blower set of bearings, on a whole Imo I think they are just should not be classed as professional products.. I had an 8 year old Hl 75 that outlasted two km 130's and its solid geared hedge cutter never needed replacing once.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

If it rounds the ends off, then you probably don't have the outer shaft all the way into the housing at one or both ends. It can't happen otherwise. Symptoms would be it working fine as a strimmer (pointing downwards) and then slipping when you use it in the air with the hedgecutter on.

The driveshafts both inner and outer are all the same save for length across the Stihl range when you're talking about inch tube stuff (sub FS310)

I've blown a hedgecutter gearbox up but I hold my hands up to abusing it. They're widely recognised as the toughest about.

I have gone to the darkside I bought a husqvarna 327 ld. it starts on half a pull its very light allmost no vibs picks up very fast on revs and revs so well at high revs. I think its fantasic tool and makes stihl look like amatures.

Maybe the strimmer head is tougher on a stihl but everything else is much better on the husqvarna. :) I am husqvarna all the way now!

I had a go on a loop handle Husky the other day and found it most agreeable, very good anti vibe.

Stuck with Stihl due to all the (expensive) attachments I have. Can't complain about the FS-70 but the Husky was very nice.

Not me that has to use em anyway :lol: