Best Budget Stove for £500 5kw or under

spudulike

This is for a colleague of mine (not on Arbtalk), he is looking for a free standing stove, 5kw or under with a budget for the stove of circa £500.

He has looked and likes the Aga Little Wenlock but thought some of you may have experience of this or other manufactures in this price band - I have suggested Clearview, Stovax and Jotul but the price tag is too much so circa £500 it is.

He is in the Surrey area if that helps!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at getting the little aga this year it seemed well made and from what I've heard aga make decent bits of kit but if someone has one I'd like to know what you think too.

Sorry spud that didn't help you but this could be helpful to me as well

I'm looking at getting the little aga this year it seemed well made and from what I've heard aga make decent bits of kit but if someone has one I'd like to know what you think too.

Sorry spud that didn't help you but this could be helpful to me as well

Not a problem, thought I would see what stoves were recommended for the fella - I run a Stovax, both my brothers have Clearview and my father is Jotul but all are a bit pricy for his budget!

We have a Bernard Davis and Co 'little Wonder' as a second stove:

Cast Iron Stoves, Traditional or Modern, Multi-Fuel Heating, East Sussex

There is a second maker known as Evergreen who sell copies of the Bernard Davis stove range (have also owned one of these in the past - no problems) and their copy of the Little Wonder is called the 'Larch' and is shown here

Evergreen ST0311 Larch Multifuel / Woodburning Stove - Stoves Are Us

If I had to choose between the two I would go with the Bernard Davis product although not the purchase experience!

We have a Bernard Davis and Co 'little Wonder' as a second stove:

Cast Iron Stoves, Traditional or Modern, Multi-Fuel Heating, East Sussex

There is a second maker known as Evergreen who sell copies of the Bernard Davis stove range (have also owned one of these in the past - no problems) and their copy of the Little Wonder is called the 'Larch' and is shown here

Evergreen ST0311 Larch Multifuel / Woodburning Stove - Stoves Are Us

If I had to choose between the two I would go with the Bernard Davis product although not the purchase experience!

Don't they all come out of the same Chinese foundry?

This is for a colleague of mine (not on Arbtalk), he is looking for a free standing stove, 5kw or under with a budget for the stove of circa £500.

He has looked and likes the Aga Little Wenlock but thought some of you may have experience of this or other manufactures in this price band - I have suggested Clearview, Stovax and Jotul but the price tag is too much so circa £500 it is.

He is in the Surrey area if that helps!

Hi Steve morso mate may be more BUT GOOD STOVE THANKS JON

We have the little wenlock. Had it now for about 5 winters.

Its our main heating source along side a wood fired Rayburn so gets used lots.

Bad things:

small fire box (however you can still fit bigger logs in if you put them in diagonally which is ok once its got going)

The removable top hole cover is dimpled so boiling / cooking on the top is not as good as it could be. If your going to top flue then it wont matter. Our plan is to plasma cut a new flat steel plate to replace it.

Sweeping can be a pain if you dont have a Tee fitted at the rear & extra flexi rods (we use a single piece wire rod set)

Good things:-

even with the small fire box you can keep it in all night as the air control is good.

very controllable

solidly made

gives of loads of heat

warms up quick

visually appealing

can be used with wood or solid fuels (we only use wood)

comes with adapter for wood only use

glass stays clean & or cleans its self when burnt right