Herbycides, Peskycides and funguycides

SteveA

I've read a few mentions of applying god knows what chemicals to trees, etc from members on arbtalk and thought I'd post this link.... (a French research into the toxic levels of the chemical things you may have been using).

I'm no expert in these chemicals.... we don't use any of this toxic stuff.

Cheers, Beehugger Steve :001_tongue:

Have a read or glance.... thoughts? Garden & Farm Fungicides, Herbicides & Pesticides Far More Toxic Than Originally Thought | Permaculture Magazine

have to say do not like using any of the stuff even though i do use it

but main one is glyphosphate. i get booted and suited when using it.

be interested in reading reports from other bodies. but it must have a effect on our wildlife. hence the crash in the bee population.

as the saying go.s a weed is a flower or plant in the wrong place. maybe we should live with weeds and remove them with less drastic mesures than using all these chemicals.

i now use a cda sprayer as itsprays less so less is used. and no mixing and left overs in tank what you use is used rest goes back in tank for the next time

To be fair, treat this research with a little caution.

I followed the article through to the original research, and there are several flaws in the study. Briefly, some of these are:

- their sample size is n=9, which is too simply small for analytical purposes

- they are not testing the toxicity of the base chemical eg glyposate, they are testing the interaction of the adjuvant and the chemical, (you don't always use adjuvant when applying)

- they don't state at what dose rates they have mixed the chemicals - just advise below agricultural standards (how low? is it comparable to standard 50:1 mix or even weaker garden centre variety strength)

- They have conducted in vitro cell growth ie grown cells in a dish covered in chemicals, and to a saturation point in which they kill the cells - so a foregone conclusion and not research conducted in a practical like-for-like situation eg external application to skin, inhalation through mask etc.

- The scientists report no conflict of interests, but they were part funded by environmental and conservation foundations, and two organisations promoting organic farming and production, so perhaps there is a conflict as they research the needs of the paymasters

So... am I saying its tosh? Not entirely, but its certainly not as clear as you would think on first read.

That said, whenever I spray, I don't generally mix in adjuvants and I always go kitted up. I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone else assumes chemicals are totally safe - but in regards to this paper, it reads like a bit of pseudo-science that makes a nice attention grabbing article on a permaculture website, but that leaves too many holes in their argument.

In my opinion!

Edited by 10 Bears

Steve, please don't confuse opinions pieces like this with science. The person who wrote it has an interesting background but training in reviewing scientific research isn't one of them. Below is from her website.

Personal History: Maddy was born in London many moons ago. From an early age, despite a city upbringing, she loved to play in muddy urban streams and sit under trees admiring the dance of nature. Every summer, Maddy and her parents and three older brothers would travel to the wilds of Connemara on the west coast of Ireland to Loch Corrib to fish, fool around in boats and cook over fires. She was also exposed to an Ireland that no longer exists where people only spoke Gaellic, no English, and still lived a life untouched by the modern world. That formative time in such a pristine and beautiful place was unforgettable.

In true English tradition, Maddy was sent to boarding school from the age of 10, luckily to schools run by Quakers, who taught her many of the values she holds dear today, like social justice and corporate social responsibility, the benefits of ethical trade and of course to value and protect the environment. But, she didn't take education lying down, and ran away to Scotland at age 14 to get a taste for adventure (and get in big trouble with her parents). Later came an English degree at university and an increasing desire to be a writer. The passion for good organic food and an interest in protecting the environment was to follow, and soon afterwards Maddy's first job was to set up her own organic whole food store in Portsmouth, England.

Maddy loves nothing more than a day outside working in the garden, or walking on the hills around her home. Favourite holidays always involve camping, usually in Cornwall by the sea and a good dose of body boarding. She has recently acquired a Sea Eagle kayak and plans to take to the water as much as possible, probably dodging the English rain!

Current Projects and Other Fun Facts:

Besides writing and publishing, Maddy spends as much time in the garden experimenting with companion planting, brewing stinky liquid manures, propagating fruit trees, growing as much fruit and veg as possible. She also loves planting wildflowers and bee- and butterfly-nectar-producing plants. She also swims and walks as regularly as possible, and likes to meet unusual and inspiring permaculture people from all over the world. She recently met Sepp Holzer, an Austrian farmer who grows citrus and other fabulous polycultures at 4,921 feet.

Maddy's company has won many awards for good ethical and green practice. The most notable was in 2008, when Permanent Publications won the Queens Award for Enterprise for its “unfettered commitment to sustainable development internationally.” The Queens Award is said to be the equivalent to a corporate knighthood. Maddy had to take off her jeans, put on a dress and go to a reception at Buckingham Palace with the Queen and other members of the Royal Family. "Quite a surreal experience for an alternative publisher," she says. "But Prince Phillip and the Queen were very welcoming and knew about our work — and Princess Anne has a wicked sense of humour."

Read more: Permaculture Pioneer Maddy Harland

When I first left school I worked in the Agronomy dept at West Midland Farmers, back then (27yrs ago) the rep for Roundup used to prove how safe for the environment it was by drinking it!!

I still see him around now so it's not that toxic to humans although he only has one leg and half an arm!!:laugh1::lol::thumbup:

When I first left school I worked in the Agronomy dept at West Midland Farmers, back then (27yrs ago) the rep for Roundup used to prove how safe for the environment it was by drinking it!!

I still see him around now so it's not that toxic to humans although he only has one leg and half an arm!!:laugh1::lol::thumbup:

Hey mate, it's a bit late for April fooling! :lol: