anyone get much work from check-a-trade

smudge1

Thinking of new ways to advertise. Never really considered check-a-trade but had the chimney sweeper round this morning and he said forget google and use check-a-trade. Reckons he gets loads of work through it.

Would be interested in hearing others experiences with them? good or bad?

Hi Smudge

I'm on Checkatrade and to be honest, initially I was very apprehensive; how wrong I was.

We probably get 50-60% of our new contacts via it; a bit pricey but well worth it, I would definitely recommend it.

The ability to respond to any negative comments is good too; we've had to use this twice when I thought the comments were overly harsh (I had a client whom we worked for for years and in his last posting he said that we were expensive, yet he never ever said that to us, we were able to comment on this, which was very useful).

You can also post the feedback via twitter which we do all the time.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Used them for about 3 years now and it certainly has helped with new leads. New clients can easily see the feedback you've received and some of my clients have based their decision on that alone ! The only small problem I have found, and it was talking to my clients about it, was that they seem not to give negative feedback for other trades they have had in and do a poor job. Potentially long term this may mean everyone has great reviews, no matter how good or bad the job was done. Having said that I would recommend them for advertising, its worked for me.

And if you do not have a website, your home page on their website can be used as one.

Not sure how big your outfit is Smudge, but we use it as an incentive for the guys who work for us; we tell them the score they got from a particular client, if it's 10s across the board it boosts their confidence and makes them feel valued, if they've dropped a point here and there it helps me to increase their awareness in those areas.

I would recommend it , I joined when I went on my own 3 years ago and I get loads of work through it ,really did help in the first year and still does now, customers find it reassuring to read your feedback and they can view your insurance and qualifications .

I know word of mouths best.. but its hard at the start, need to find ways to increase customers quick. 'Branching' out from current company I work for, if can just get two more jobs a week i'll have enough to go at it alone.

Any other ideas?

I don't find it to be a certain type of person or job , generally a range of old / young and a good mix of work , I'll get at least 2 leads a week through checkatrade , I think people like the fact you've been vetted (even though it's hardly rigorous insurance/qualifications ) but it 's there for them to see along with previous clients report cards .