Sycamore

Logsnstuff

Looks like a nice enough saw log to me. I it the late in the season for felling, but think you should get away with it. If you want to Mill it leave it sitting somewhere till October for best results, but If you can't then just mill it now.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Arbtalk mobile app

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Arbtalk mobile app

Had to fell a sycamore on Friday it's wrong time of year I know so is it just good for firewood now? or maybe it only ever was firewood.

Was the square cut out to check for ripple? A polish chap I worked for had the deplorable habit of doing this to standing trees.

The butt looks like it has flecks from squirrel damage??

Anyway the saying was fell it Xmas eve, deliver it Xmas day and mill it boxing day. The inference being that all this should be done quickly and in the winter. The old guys also said the sawdust should be brushed off the boards and they season vertically but I don't know the reason for this latter unless it is to do with the compression from stickers.

The old guys also said the sawdust should be brushed off the boards and they season vertically but I don't know the reason for this latter unless it is to do with the compression from stickers.

This is about blue stain. Sycamore stains really easily at any damp spots on the surface. Removing the sawdust prevents trapped damp and if you stack it conventionally it stains where the stickers touch. Seasoning it vertically (aka 'reared') means only the very top corner and bottom corner touch anything. Once the surface is decently dry you can move it to a conventional stack.

There is a sawmill in Yorkshire I think which has developed some special plastic stickers with a series of fingers that stop the contact area being large enough for stain to result, so they can now stack conventionally.

The problem is that sycamore is not that high value a timber, so given that it takes a lot more effort than other woods it is very rarely worth the effort to mill, unless there is a specific use for it, or you are short of something else to do! There is a demand for it for kitchens etc, but they want it white, which means felling in winter. Felled now it will go darker, which personally I think is really attractive but isn't in fashion.

I milled a tree felled last Easter, so pretty much exactly this time of year, and coincidentally almost exactly the same diameter as the one pictured. I suggest getting it done pretty quickly to get the stress out of it - it seems to develop end shakes far more easily than surface checks, so milled and reared in the shade it would be fine, although it will be a bit darker than is standard.

Alec

looks ideal for my sycamore squares for turning in to skittles. would you be interested in milling it for me in to 5 1/4" squares???

how long is the log?

It's 11' 7.5" long, we don't have time for milling but you can always make us an offer we usually sell to AJ Scott or chantler when we get a load together, we have a couple of oak logs sitting also if someone is interested in them. Don't know how many tons of oak have come down over the last couple of summers but theres alot of stuff to come out of the wood if we have time.

Was the square cut out to check for ripple? A polish chap I worked for had the deplorable habit of doing this to standing trees.

The butt looks like it has flecks from squirrel damage??

Anyway the saying was fell it Xmas eve, deliver it Xmas day and mill it boxing day. The inference being that all this should be done quickly and in the winter. The old guys also said the sawdust should be brushed off the boards and they season vertically but I don't know the reason for this latter unless it is to do with the compression from stickers.

yes the window was to check for ripple. good chance there's been squirrel damage quite a few of them where this tree came from.