Oils for a Stihl 018

spike47

Hi and good morning to all

I have a old Stihl 018 chainsaw that I have just rebuilt , there is 3 things that I would like to find out if possible , 1st what type of Chain Oil can I use apart from original Stihl Oil , ie can I use my Car oil 5/30 fully synthetic or semi synthetic or just good old mineral multigrade .

2nd When I assembled the Oil tank and fit the new tube into it , where exactly is the tube end to lay , I ask the question because the tank has a lower part where the tube goes into it then it steps up to where the filler cap area is , if I just put it in it will go up over the step and into the stepped up area where you can see the end ( filter ) , I have sort of fit it so it lays in the bottom of the lower part of the tank , but it ha had to be bent a little to get it all into that lower part of the tank !!! .

3rd What type of oil can I use for the 2 stroke mix , apart from Original Stihl 2 stroke oil , ie can I do the 50-1 mix using the chain oil ! .

cheers and thank you all for any help forthcoming .PS: I hope that I have explained it clear enough .

spike

Just to quickly answer your 3 question, sure someone else will be along with more detail.

1. Use chain oil, doesn't have to be stihl, but make sure its chain oil.

2. The oil pick up tube is weighted on the end so will fall to the bottom of the tank no matter which way up the saw is held.

3. It is REALLY important to use a good quality 2 stroke oil, I would suggest that if you have been using stihl that you are best to stay with that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Just to quickly answer your 3 question, sure someone else will be along with more detail.

1. Use chain oil, doesn't have to be stihl, but make sure its chain oil.

2. The oil pick up tube is weighted on the end so will fall to the bottom of the tank no matter which way up the saw is held.

3. It is REALLY important to use a good quality 2 stroke oil, I would suggest that if you have been using stihl that you are best to stay with that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

This pretty much sums it up. I would add that there are plenty of 2 -Stroke oils that have exactly the same spec as the Stihl variety. Just make sure its a good quality one.