Good place to start carving for a noobie?

Agi-Smash

Evening all. Pretty new to this arborist stuff. I have been using saws for about ten years so quite happy using a saw. Mate of mine has some logs he said i can play with so fancied having a go at a bit of carving/sculpting. Before i get all excited buying a new saw and gear. Could anybody suggest any things to try and carve first? Im assuming a mushroom. Also does anybody have any tips or advise for carving? Hoping to have a go saturday and will try and post pictures for you all to laugh at.

Hi yes I agree start with a mushroom just to get the feel of cutting curves etc ,I have a workshop with a big yard in dorset so depending on where you are you could come and spend a day doing some stuff making sawdust P M me if interested

Good Luck Cheers Mark

Thanks guys, some good for thought for tomorrow. I will only be using my little old faithful stihl 021, think its a 12 or 14 inch. I have read several threads about dressing bars square for a straight cut and ensuring chain is sharpened even etc etc. so if i have dressed and sharpened properly, how do you perform a curve cut? Can you curve cut with a parallel bar or do you needle a more pointed bar?

You will read all sorts about modifying your chain. dont bother iv tryed all sorts of variations and havent found any thing that makes a difference. at the end of the day it comes down to how good you are with a saw not how its modified.

As for cutting a curve. it depends on how thick the wood is and how tight the curve is to be but you should be able to do most cuts with a stsndard bar and chain. if you are only cutting through a couple of inches you can just draw a line you want to follow and then start cutting. you will find once the chain has cit in an inch you will be able to start to roll the saw to the side so the bar follows the line.

if you are cutting through a thicker log. mark the line you want to cut then scribe the line in with the tip of the saw. carfull it dont kick back on you. then once you have a line scribed just keep going over it cutting in an inch or so at a time.

for really tight curves cut the curve in a series of square cuts then using the tip of the saw you can rub the flat edges back untill you have the curve you want. with a standard bar and chain you can create a cure as tight as the end of your bar. with a bit of practice.

if you are on face book go on my page and send me a message and i will give you some basic projects to get you started. toms chainsawcarvings

Good advice splinters!

A log builder friend of mine will twist his (cannon) bar to the extreme when cutting a curve. I prefer what I call a "sawing" technique.

1. select a bar that is at least four inches longer then the log diameter.

(12" log / 14" bar). This will reduce the danger of kick-back.

2. While cutting move the bar back and forth slightly and you will be able to follow a curved line easily.

4. Use a 14 inch "toonie bar" for tighter curves.

ROOSTER

chainsawcarve.ca

(FREE chainsaw patterns)