Beech reduction..

PC tree

ARB Approved :biggrin:

Whilst it certainly is to a very good standard, no argument, and involving a species that lends itself to nice reductions, why is it that the height is often reduced more than the spread, or at least appears to be?

Coz it's easier, coz the clients wants it, coz that's the right thing to do?

I see this quite often and have never really understood why. :confused1:

Thoughts?

Cheers..

Paul

ARB Approved :biggrin:

Whilst it certainly is to a very good standard, no argument, and involving a species that lends itself to nice reductions, why is it that the height is often reduced more than the spread, or at least appears to be?

Coz it's easier, coz the clients wants it, coz that's the right thing to do?

I see this quite often and have never really understood why. :confused1:

Thoughts?

Cheers..

Paul

Hi Paul,

In my experience and unless the spec says to reduce the top more, then surely it just appears to be, if I'm asked to do an overall reduction of say 2m then the overall finished product should be 2m all round and no more from the top than the sides. But some specs I've often come across species dependent have a metre or so more from the top on the spec. ie 2m top, 1/1.5m sides?? I can only assume these reasons are for someone's personnel preference or something..

Again species dependent I also feel the sides offer more in substantial growth points and a little more is needed from the top to achieve an all round symmetrical finish!!

Adam :)

Hi Paul,

In my experience and unless the spec says to reduce the top more, then surely it just appears to be, if I'm asked to do an overall reduction of say 2m then the overall finished product should be 2m all round and no more from the top than the sides. But some specs I've often come across species dependent have a metre or so more from the top on the spec. ie 2m top, 1/1.5m sides?? I can only assume these reasons are for someone's personnel preference or something..

Again species dependent I also feel the sides offer more in substantial growth points and a little more is needed from the top to achieve an all round symmetrical finish!!

Adam :)

Hi Adam, thank you for your useful comments here which are helpful.

Re your last para, whilst 'symmetry' may be aesthetically pleasing, and 'client pleasing', BS3998 states it shouldn't be done as the norm when undertake CRs as one should work with the tree's natural shape and form...unless of course that forms part of the spec.

Cheers :thumbup1:

Paul