What length rope do I buy?

Olly Wright

I recently gained my CS38 and CS39. I have a 20 metre length of rope but plan to buy a longer length. I simulated climbing up a joined rope the other day by tying a bowline in the middle of the rope and attaching this to my harness and then joining the other two ends together with 2 bowlines. By using a short prussik to ascend to the join and then attaching a long prussik above the join before removing the first prussik I reckon it is possible to climb to a high branch with a joined rope. With this in mind I would choose a 35m length and then if i do find a tree with the lowest branch out of reach of this rope I can still reach it. Would you agree this is safe/possible? I just find a 45m rope a hassle to use as you spend so much time retrieving the other end etc. Also, spliced eye or no spliced eye? What is the advantage of an eye over a simple bowline?

Not really advised to use two ropes tied together to much to go wrong in my mind. 90% of the time 37 Meter is more in enough.

Most ropes have one spliced and the other end left as it is. The advantage of the splice is Easy to clip on to the harness, No messing around with knots.

Will not get caught as much as a knot would in tight forks and having a splice looks much nicer then a big ugly knot.

Think of what trees you are likely to climb the most and their height. Double their height (for ddrt) and hey presto! If you are climbing to a tie in point at >20m then you will need to climb down a the tree a bit before bailing out with a 37m rope. Just remember to always tie a figure eight in the end of your climbing rope so you don't drop off the end!

I've had 37 meter ropes for the last 6 -7 years and Ive done some "big as they get" trees and never had any problems running out of rope in this country that is plenty Id like to see someone ddrt with a 45 meter rope coz I can garantee those extra 7 meters really hurt on big reductions take downs and smaller stuff, what you have to remember is you gota pull all that rope over branches out the way of a groundie etc multiple times a day!

At worst on big stuff you'll have to change over once on the way down but seriously buddy if your using all that rope everyday then evaluate your pay and consider a rope wrench

I don't have a wrench but if your climbing big stuff all day then it's gota be an investment for you to go srt

Find your style what suits you and the trees you get but 37m mate!