Getting Started

Golden

Hiya, I'm 21 and I've been looking to get into arboriculture for some time now and finally have the funds for courses :001_smile:

I'll obviously be taking CS30 and CS31 first, but after this I'm not to sure whether to complete CS32 or go straight for CS38 and CS39. Most of the jobs I've been looking at require climbing tickets, but I was wondering what the chances of getting a groundsmans job was before shelling out on CS38/39? Just so I could get some more money and a bit of experience behind me before going areal.

Also, has anybody here had experiences with Northumberland college or East Durham college?

Thanks, this forums been really insightful for me so far, Dean.

Hi Dean, I recently retired, and have set up my own business as an arborist. During my enquiries with the relevant colleges including east Durham (houghall) and Ponteland it was established that the majority of folk did the following courses in order to do the majority of work available, CS30,31,38,39,40,41, chainsaw use-maintenance,cross cutting & felling small trees, climbing & aerial rescue,climbing & cutting, de-crowning and tree dismantle. Obviously there are other courses including using a mobile elevated work platform aka ( cherry picker) and wood chipper/stump grinding. I believe the CS courses above are the industry standard but there are also the relevant first aid courses, railway safety course and utility/electrical cables safety courses. Please feel free to contact me on 0191-5282554, as I am in a good position to advise on which course and and what location, Houghall charge around £720 for a five day course including registration and asessment fees, which is well steep, good luck in your endeavours-give me a ring, regards, Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

Hi Dean,

Having been in a similar position to yourself with regards to funds, I would suggest doing the NPTC chipper course, CS38 for aerial rescue and your Cat B&E (trailer towing) course if you are thinking of a groundsman job. Most employers will require these tickets as standard for groundy work.

If you are thinking of becoming a fully qualified arborist, it is well worth doing a formal qualification in Arb to ND or HND level, along with CS32,39,40,41 and maybe UA tickets, as there is plenty of UA work out there.

Other useful quals include, first aid at work, CSCS card, PA1/PA6, MEWP ticket, and maybe Cat C (HGV) license for driving larger arb vehicles.

Hope this helps a bit and good luck.

Chris.

Hi Dean

as said ,, courses are ground chainsaw use, climbing and rescue + cutting techniques

useful ground courses... chipper . stump grinder & pesticides.

we have a brand new training centre near Saltburn in Cleveland + can offer accomodation also

work out what you want from the industry & train accordingly ,,

as to jobs this depends on where do you live really