Yew:How old do you think this one is?

Mike Hill

A mate of mine has this big Yew on his Farm.Its hollow and many of the Limbs are Hollow as well.If it tips over its going to block a track,he wants it down and we were wondering how old it might be?

Its about 50foot high and close to 7 foot at the base.

Yew.jpg.8f1afa18db71ab8e22827e93c50b3c7e.jpg

Some Yews in churchyards are estimated to go back to the Neolithic - can just see the post on abtalk 4,000BC - hey guys just brought an flint axe from a guy from Germany much better that the last one from Sweden:thumbup:

I promise I'm no tree hugger! But please can alternatives to felling be considered in this case? I'm happy to offer my services if required - this tree sounds like it's on its way to veteran if it's not there already, and if the only concern is one of potential failure I bet we could find a way to retain it at no extra cost to the owner :-)

I promise I'm no tree hugger! But please can alternatives to felling be considered in this case? I'm happy to offer my services if required - this tree sounds like it's on its way to veteran if it's not there already, and if the only concern is one of potential failure I bet we could find a way to retain it at no extra cost to the owner :-)

Ditto :thumbup: though I have been known to hug the odd tree...:D

A mate of mine has this big Yew on his Farm.Its hollow and many of the Limbs are Hollow as well.If it tips over its going to block a track,he wants it down and we were wondering how old it might be?

Its about 50foot high and close to 7 foot at the base.

Awesome tree Mike.....:thumbup1:

wonder how many tools have been made with that single tree in its life time?

yews sometimes are deceptive well From my XP anyway, there are a couple of yews in a church yard near me which date back 750 years around the size of your friends, then i have seen slightly smaller and the have dated to around 1000-1500 years, and complete opposite on another that was 8ft dia and 45ft tall dating only 350 years :001_huh:....be good to find out though.....

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

I would say there is ~150 years variance just in diameter vs. latitude >40 <65 vs. environment

So 300 years +- 75 years

If I had to nail a date based on ~7ft diameter in the UK it would be ~304 years with a potential range of 266 years in an old garden of an equally old house to 355 years if it grew with competition in woodland

but then what do i know :laugh1: