advice on a poplar pollard

Dr.Green

hello people , been asked today to carry out this little job , customer wants to retain rather than remove.. i have an idea of how to go about carrying out the pollard but i would realy like so advice please as this would be my first one and would like to make the effort as its on my door step, and customer was more than happy with work ive done in the area.

dont want to go for a realy harsh pollard (like a bollard) .

see what you think - any advice would be great. or fancy drawen on lines would be even better..:thumbup1:

its a bit of a mini beast, having had 3 very large lower limbs come of 4-6ft from base in the past. These are clearly decaying back into the base with visual 'white rot' seen thru bark at 8ft.

IMG_0283.jpg.9c222cfb9dec5e4586b737e9c683083d.jpg

Edited by Dr.Green

Problem is they still want 'a tree'. Thou all the extra options I will return with them and let them decide. Small pollard/medium/reduction .

They had tiedie t-shirts on and have a herbal medicine company so are hippys. Hence no removal of the poplar

Yes, sorry, just being a knobhead!

Nice reduction on poplars are a bit of a waste of time/money/effort in my opinion.

Pollarding as low as the customer will allow will be best in the long term. But a bit more than just a trunk would be best.

Message boards are for winding people up as is life :). When Im home il get creative with some pics n redlines for customer. Shame its not destined for death, my wood yard is at the bottom of road, but if we did that every time.

5ft or so above the first opening of the crown, then it's an easy repollard in a few years. Just my opinion mind.

Yes, sorry, just being a knobhead!

Nice reduction on poplars are a bit of a waste of time/money/effort in my opinion.

Pollarding as low as the customer will allow will be best in the long term. But a bit more than just a trunk would be best.

Yes more suitable for both tree and customer IMO, as Rupe says its going to be a waste of your time and customers money for you to be reducing it by less than 50% mass, and as stumpgrinder has said poplarding down to that height would be manageable for the future as regrowth could be unforgiving.......if you had the gift of the gab though mate you would persuade the customer to take down and replant something more of a suitable nature for the garden.....:001_smile:

but then if you don't do as the customer wants you could loose the work to someone that will.......:001_rolleyes: