201T Stiff chain brake, reasons?

jnoon

was using my 201t today dismantling an ash, the chain brake was becoming realy awkward to operate, would only work from certain positions on the handle, the saw is only 5 or so months old and the chain brake assembly was clean, the main bar and chain nut was not overtightened so i dont know what the cause could be..???

could it be it was a really hot day so thee problem like a thread not to long ago about the 660 chainbrake not working.

any of you guys have the same problem?:confused1:

was using my 201t today dismantling an ash, the chain brake was becoming realy awkward to operate, would only work from certain positions on the handle, the saw is only 5 or so months old and the chain brake assembly was clean, the main bar and chain nut was not overtightened so i dont know what the cause could be..???

could it be it was a really hot day so thee problem like a thread not to long ago about the 660 chainbrake not working.

any of you guys have the same problem?:confused1:

As far as I know the mechanism is the same as the 200, they do stiffen when dust builds up inside the side case.

You need to remove the side case from the saw, then remove the inside plate that holds the chain brake mechanism in place.

Once you have removed the plate, take careful note of were every thing goes, a photo may be a good idea, then dismantle the mechanism and clean all part, I find warm soapy water works best, then dry all parts and reassemble.

It should then work like new :thumbup1:

Mine does this also....Im inclined to believe theres more to it that just needing a clean.

yes me too, using it today and it was better after a good old blast out with wd40.:thumbup1: however even with a strip down and clean it doesnt seem to be right, if you press it right infront off the on off button its fine but if you press it nearer the pull cord side of the chain brake handle it doesnt always go on, may phone up jonsie and see if they know what to do :confused1:

Haven't stihl reduced weight (a bit) by making the plastic thinner and therefore making the handle more flexible. I mentioned this on another thread about the 201 a while ago. It doesn't have the nice 'click' that the 200 had. The on off switch is the same on mine too. Not a definite click off, you have to sort of hold it down till it cuts off.

As said before though, a good clean out with the airline probably helps.

Haven't stihl reduced weight (a bit) by making the plastic thinner and therefore making the handle more flexible. I mentioned this on another thread about the 201 a while ago. It doesn't have the nice 'click' that the 200 had. The on off switch is the same on mine too. Not a definite click off, you have to sort of hold it down till it cuts off.

As said before though, a good clean out with the airline probably helps.

yes agree with on /off swithc sometimes mine says off and its still running:lol:

not good i know its only 5 months old, i mist out on the last of the 200t by about a week :blushing:

mine has both of thoses problems but only the switch every now and then. i had to keep cleaning it heaps and work pretty good for bit then back again and over and over. the chain brake spring eventually broke and i replaced it, now seems to work ok. but still seems not quite right....hhmmmmm.

but it has freed up heaps from when i first got it and seems to run alot better. had it for bout 7months or so. defo few issues with that need fixing with these saws i reckon tho.

Mog