Large Tawny Grisette

Andrew Reed

... vary in size ... Been an absolutely bumper year for the fulva this season in my neck of the woods.

I share this observation. In a Dutch woodland dominated by birches on poor sandy soil I've been monitoring, a month ago I found hundreds of Amanita fulva, which also were very variable in size.

And there were a lot of Amanita muscaria, Russula betularum, R. claroflava and R. aeruginea present too.

I share this observation. In a Dutch woodland dominated by birches on poor sandy soil I've been monitoring, a month ago I found hundreds of Amanita fulva, which also were very variable in size.

And there were a lot of Amanita muscaria, Russula betularum, R. claroflava and R. aeruginea present too.

What do you put the proliferation of mycorrhyzal fruiting down to this year Gerrit?

In the last shot below, there is somewhere in the region of thirty A. fulva. (though you can't quite see them all in the leaf litter)

These are from a predominantly Oak woodland, small pockets of Birch.

Rich humus layer, on sand.

IMG_6805.JPG.bf0e4a61290436c9762244c7d11d4bb8.JPG

IMG_6806.JPG.c1ed921d99756f105702d12a4e2336ac.JPG

IMG_6620.JPG.1d4740be909b493fb8dcafc6ccbb34b5.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG.023d4c9d60ed0cd8d198f3688cf22499.JPG

IMG_6646.JPG.b21a2b08d981d31a9bec8653e9bb6937.JPG

IMG_6647.JPG.db063b356b95c6cac16d548f70b62515.JPG

What do you put the proliferation of mycorrhyzal fruiting down to this year ? In the last shot below, there is somewhere in the region of thirty A. fulva. (though you can't quite see them all in the leaf litter) These are from a predominantly Oak woodland, small pockets of Birch. Rich humus layer, on sand.

Last two pictures : Amanita ceciliae/inaurata ?

And for an answer to your question, see the synopsis of my article in Der Tintling.

Last two pictures : Amanita ceciliae/inaurata ?

And for an answer to your question, see the synopsis of my article in Der Tintling.

Thanks for the synopsis link Gerrit. :thumbup1:

Not convinced that the specimen in the foreground on both the last shots is either of those you mention.

I believe it's a fulva.

The cap colour & warts do not look like the right colouring for the others.

Not convinced that the specimen in the foreground on both the last shots is either of those you mention. I believe it's a fulva. The cap colour & warts do not look like the right colouring for the others.

I disagree, no distinct volva (because of easily falling apart of round cells), cap ochrous brown to dark grey-brown, with striate margin and large patches, stipe with 2-3 ring-like zones at the bulbous base : Amanita ceciliae (= A. inaurata).

I disagree, no distinct volva (because of easily falling apart of round cells), cap ochrous brown to dark grey-brown, with striate margin and large patches, stipe with 2-3 ring-like zones at the bulbous base : Amanita ceciliae (= A. inaurata).

Gerrit,

do you have an image to compare ?

thanks

D

I was suprised by the size of this one.

Andrew & David,

Because of the size, the lack of a volva and the horizontal flocculose whitish zones on the stipe, I think this is Amanita ceciliae too. This specimen, however, has lost its scales on top of the cap.