Looking to start work in forestry/ground work.

will.morris

Hi.

I'm 20 years old and have been employed in landscaping (mainly hedgecutting) for the past 2 years. During this time I have obtained an NVQ level 2 qualification in amenity horticulture, as well as my PA1 & PA6 chemical tickets.

Tomorrow I am taking an assessment for CS30 & CS31 chainsaw tickets.

Ideally I think I would like to get into forestry, but I think any chainsaw operative job will help to give me some experience. If anybody knows anything that could be suitable or have any information that could help me I would be extremely grateful.

I have all my own PPE, timber tongs, felling bar etc but don't have a saw.

I'm based around Ipswich, Suffolk area.

Many thanks,

Will

Thanks guys :D.

Out of interest where did you do your forestry work mate? I've been advised to try contacting rendlesham forest and a company called potters. Did you have to supply your own saw? What should I expect money wise? I'm only on a basic £6ph in my current landscaping job.

Cheers for your help mate

To any potential employers out there, I've had Will out on site today with me, carrying out remedial grounding duties. He has a head on his shoulders, keeps out of the way without constant reminding when the climber is banging stuff out, and got his head down without needing telling when there was work to do. I hope Will gets a proper break in the trade, as he has paid for 30/31 out of his own pocket, as well as buying all his own PPE. For a youngster to take the initiative like this shows promise, not expecting or waiting for someone to bail him. I wish I was in a position to take him on, but I'm not. I wish you all the best Will:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Will came and gave me a hand again today on a pine take-down, once again I will say his lack of knowledge and skill is more than made up by his willingness to learn. He learned a few of the basic knots involved in the job, did a bit of cross-cutting, and had a little try in a harness on spikes. Keep n trying Will, you'll get there:thumbup1:

IMG00275.jpg.b0b932e1cdc031495735183688680d25.jpg

IMG00276.jpg.4de27d452bdab5098c4617c75daa10b8.jpg

Will came and gave me a hand again today on a pine take-down, once again I will say his lack of knowledge and skill is more than made up by his willingness to learn. He learned a few of the basic knots involved in the job, did a bit of cross-cutting, and had a little try in a harness on spikes. Keep n trying Will, you'll get there:thumbup1:

Andy, Good on you for giving the guy a break, and spending a bit of time with him "learning the ropes"

Keep it up Will sounds like you'll do ok pal. :thumbup1: