college student

Tom2020

Anno its along shot but what the hell.

I am looking for an apprenticeship in Liverpool or Nottingham area. i have been to college and i am leaving after 13 weeks due to abusive staff and un-helpfull support. I have been up the trees,used the chain saws to do lopping and small tree felling I have used the chipper 3 times i have a small portfolio on what i have been doing i am a hard working and love arbour. i have not recived any tickets yet and the course i am doing is only providing my chain saw maintenance ticket after 1year.If any 1 has anything going or can point me in the right direction on were to go and what to look for i would be very grateful

I am 17 and 18 in may i live in liverpool but can move to nottingham with other family members if need be

Thanks for taking the time to read

Tom :001_smile:

Me and my lecture are not seeing eye to eye He is expecting me to be picking things up like that I have dyslexia and it makes things more of a chalange for me e.g reading species names . Today he made a right mock of me we had to learn speices of the trees and i coudent do it what so ever. I spent 2hrs.30mins trying my best and he just swore and told me i will never pass i have had this for 13 weeks and i am just hateing going to college. For the first few weeks it was the best thing i have ever done.The college is so unorganised its out of this world we spend 1hr every day waiting for the teacher to find us work and we are also getting palmed off to every 1 els

we still do not now what tickets we are getting at then end of the course.

Thanks for support

Tom

RobArb--They are a good collage there just useless this year nothing had gone to plan so there taking it out on the students in a way. What is pissing most people off The teacher will help you just he dosen't get how people learn. He know's what he's going on about just dosen't explain it in a way myself and a few other students can learn from it its most all just down on paper and not going out side and getting down to it.

Treequip--I have tryed that but my support teacher dose not know anything about arb. He is learning as i am leaning I was trying to see if any 1 dose private lesions in the subject and who can explain it clearly and help me with the course. I ask on here and got a big of a slagging.(oh he just here to take it the easy way) and all that. So i feel like i carn't post here any more due to just get slagged of and people thinking i am just trying to get the answers insted of looking for them.

What course are you on and what part of the syllabus are you finding hard?

Learning the Latin names. There's a small black book, I think its called plant names simplified. The names are broken down so they are easier to pronounce and then remember.

Google mnemonics, its ways of remembering words.

Ive got a list of different books covering different subjects that I can give you which could help but you will have to give me a couple of days as Ive just come out of hospital and don't feel to good at all.

I ask on here and got a big of a slagging.(oh he just here to take it the easy way) and all that. So i feel like i carn't post here any more due to just get slagged of and people thinking i am just trying to get the answers insted of looking for them.

Tom, its a shame this is what you've experienced here. I'm pretty sure its no-ones intention to make you feel unwelcome, in fact you can learn a great deal from many of the membership here. However, we do seem to get a lot of students asking what are very basic questions, as if they are looking for us to do the course for them. Dyslexia is now becoming more recognised, and as said you can have help with learning support.

My advice is to stick at it (the course) it will make you more employable in the future, and also shows to employers that when things get tough, you will knuckle down and deal with it. Several members here have dyslexia, and have still managed to carve a career from tree work, so its not impossible.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and I hope you carry on following Arbtalk, and feel you can ask questions whenever necessary.

I am a student at the myerscough centre in preston, i can say that i havent experienced the problems that you are with the tutors. But i can understand where you are coming from with the whole teaching in a way you understand but i was lucky that i got two days a week practical which was a great help to build on what i learnt in the classroom. The theory tutors give you back what you put into it, well thats how it seems to me, I could have tried harder on my theory side in my first year and it showed in my assignments to be honest with you and plant idents was a nightmare! But looking back there was a few things i could have done differently like my attendance and the amount of time i put into work outside the classroom etc etc. The one thing i would say is that I also have dyslexia (which i am not using as an excuse) but the support i found to be not as good as possible but again they have an awful lot of different subjects to cover with what knowledge they can take in. I'd stick at it personally it will get eaiser with time belive me and thats coming from me a person who had no experience of tree work before i started the course!