How would you manage this Veteran

Macca

I have been giving the job from the tree officer to reduce this oak tree by 2 meters as he is worried about the poles getting to long and snapping out. It's an ancient pollard possibly 400 years old and situated to the rear of a block of flats. I convinced said officer to postpone the works until the highest photosynthetic period rather than March, but I still am not sure that a reduction is in the best interest of the tree. Would the tree survive a re-pollard as some of the poles are close together and are only going to get closer. Thank you for any input.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1457794481.975503.jpg.bd9a06deaf65b6a6fc404d9dec1c130f.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1457794437.287134.jpg.958087d6e40303181a21569c80236705.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1457794452.138919.jpg.ba7c413119ec9d79c073837921f65fa3.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1457794465.706227.jpg.72d62ff9324830ab27f12f6c487d8ddb.jpg

Repollard would probably kill it.

TO's 2m reduction sounds sensible, especially if there are epicormic growths existing along the pollard poles. Perhaps looking to bring it further down toward the top of the boling over a number of phased reductions.

Cracking tree, surprising to see it surviving in such an urban situation.

Where is it?

It's located in the centre of a housing estate in Stevenage hidden by a large block of housing association flats. I would love it in my back garden. So a staged program of reductions every 3-5 years with an aim at getting it back to the original boles?

Repollard would probably kill it.

TO's 2m reduction sounds sensible, especially if there are epicormic growths existing along the pollard poles. Perhaps looking to bring it further down toward the top of the boling over a number of phased reductions.

Cracking tree, surprising to see it surviving in such an urban situation.

Where is it?

Out of curiosity why would you want to bring it down further? Why not just a 2 mtr reduction then redo it in 10 or 20 years?

Why the compulsion to get it further down?