Blade Bolts

Drucati

Howdy just bought a few sets of blade blots from my friendly nut n bolt guy, They exactly the same as timberwolf bolts but have a Allen key head instead of Torx (which in my experiance are poo) There same strength and shallow head so im gonna try them at least i know ill be able to undo the gits after a couple weeks of chipping without the torx driver slipping. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and how did it go???

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double check the height of the allen headed bolts vs the torx , I fitted the shallow headed allen bolts to ours and because they we very slightly taller in the head they trashed the anvil. Yours may well be ok but the ones I got were just that tiny bit bigger.

Edit, you should be able to put a straight edge across the blade without touching the heads of the bolts.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

Dimensions aside, (and assuming the bolts are the same spec) surely allen heads are as likely, if not more likely, to strip than Torx with a properly fitting, quality Torx tool? :confused1:

Any suggestions on a quaility Torx driver ? :boxing::gasthrower::banghead:

Bob

I got some from a Timberwolf dealer which had Allen heads. Chaps at Timberwolf said it should have had the torx ones in. Can't see what difference it makes really. Never had a problem with the torx heads though just make sure the heads are nice a clean and give the bit a bit of a tap in.

Sent from my iPad using Arbtalk

Torx bolts are much less likely to strip out than Allen ones. Allen are great in nice clean conditions but once they are a bit corroded and covered in crap, they are likely to round - just got to look at the shape of both recess shapes to tell you that.

The most common reason to strip out both these types of bolt are when crap builds up in the head and isn't cleared out before the allen key or torx bit is inserted. Cleaning it out thoroughly and tapping the bit fullyin to place will help not stripping it.

I havent had a chipper apart but perhaps some threadlock (the type that allows dissassembly) on the thread and a little grease around the counter sunk head and shoulder should help future removal - just an engineers thought as it will stop the rust and the lock will hold he thread!

You could try stainless steel bolts??